• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Microsoft Edge refuse to acknowledge that Flash is enabled?

New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened back in late March/early April. I had been using Edge for an online homework website. Suddenly, I was unable to begin an assignment because the site claimed I did not have Flash enabled. I gave up with them after multiple attempts and switched to Chrome to get the homework done. I have tried the recommended steps for enabling Flash on Microsoft Edge many times. I even tried to see if the browser settings were switched around and toggled it off to test, to no avail. If I go to the "..." on Edge, scroll down to settings, scroll down to advanced settings, the Use Adobe Flash is toggled to on. It has ALWAYS been toggled to on. So, obviously there is something going on between Microsoft Edge and Adobe Flash that the programs are claiming that the flash player is disabled. What more can I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, confirm that ActiveX Filtering is configured to allow Flash content:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/867968

Internet Explorer 11 and Edge introduce a number of changes both to how the browser identifies itself to remote web servers, and to how it processes JavaScript intended to target behaviors specific to Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, this means that content on some sites will be broken until the content provider changes their site to conform to the new development approach required by modern versions of IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that makes since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that Edge has been talking about rolling out a feature to make Flash Player click-to-run, and that's certainly what it sounds like you're encountering:  Extending User Control of Flash with Click-to-Run - Microsoft Edge Dev BlogMicrosoft Edge Dev Blog

That said, I'm definitely not seeing this in the preview version of Win10 that I'm using, and I haven't seen the wave of requests that I would expect to if this had been rolled out broadly.  It may be possible that they've rolled out the change to a small subset of their audience as an experiment to gauge feedback.  I definitely don't see facilities in the UI to manage this feature, which you've also observed.

Are you on one of the insider tracks?  It's possible that they're experimenting there.

Microsoft is really in the best position to help you through this, and if it's a preview build, could use the feedback on improving your control over the behavior.  Unfortunately, I don't have any support guidance at this point in time, but I'm curious about what specific build of Win10 your'e running. 

I'll talk to the Edge team next week and will mention this.  As I get additional information, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon going to the support site and selecting what problems I was having,

the only support option given to me was the community forum.

I'm not aware of any trial, I have never been contacted to participate or

provide feedback. If they do contact me, I have a lot of bad stuff to say

regarding this because even Netflix is starting to encounter issues. I

think I'll just go back to Chrome, Edge is having too many issues.

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 14:56 jeromiec83223024 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Windows 10 Version and OS Build do you have?

Go to Settings > System > About and provide the Version and OS Build information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same problem as others have with flash in win edge,

my problem occurred after windows updated: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703

OS win 10 Home

version  1703

os build 15063.296

(http://www.homestarrunner.com/

but on this website above, the animation works after I allow flash to work on the page

any idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft is moving to a click-to-play model with Flash (as are most browser vendors).  This new behaviour is being rolled out with the Windows 10 Creators release, which is what you have.  You'll essentially need to enable Flash for each site that has Flash.  There isn't a 'enable Flash for all sites' option.  More information on this is available at Extending User Control of Flash with Click-to-Run - Microsoft Edge Dev BlogMicrosoft Edge Dev Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have exactly the same problems as the posters above. I verify that Edge has Adobe Flash enabled in the advanced settings, but Edge (or Adobe) still says it is not allowed whn I check specifically. This all started happening when the lates Windows 10 were rolled out automatically, about a month or so ago. Everything worked somoothly in the background until then.

I'm not sure I understand what Vargas is saying here, Is there anything we the individual user can do, or do we just have to wait till MS/windows or the specific provider (for me the the national news-provider NRK) has this sorted out??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the Creator's update (OS Version 1703) you'll need to enable Flash per site.  Click on the puzzle piece in the address bar and select 'Allow once' or 'Always allow'.  Note that as indicated on the screenshot, this setting is per site. What is the direct URL to the page in question?

Screen capture showing an Edge browser window with a dialog from the address bar which reads "Adobe Flash content was blocked. Do you want to allow Adobe Flash to run on this site?" The options are Close, Allow Once, and Allow Always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to the news story, the embedded picture is not playable (says Adobe Flash cannot be used, and sends me to a link for activatiog it, which I do, but it is still not allowed).

Slik kan regjerings­kvartalet sjå ut - NRK Kultur og underholdning - Nyheter og aktuelt stoff

It's like this for every embedded animation from NRK.no, this is just the latest example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft does not allow Flash updates into Edge or Internet Explorer, so you need to search Microsoft – Official Home Page for help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

It doesn't appear the site is correctly coded for Edge browser as the puzzle piece is not displaying to allow Flash.  If the browser was detecting the Flash object code it would give an option to enable Flash. Even the help page (NRK TV - Hjelp ) does not mention Edge browser, only Chrome and Safari.

Flash content does play when opening the page in IE.

Essentially, these are changes Microsoft is making to the browser and you can try contacting them through one of their support channels.  Adobe has no say in how these browsers are handling Flash content.  I would also recommend contacting the content developer and telling them their content is not functioning correctly in Edge browser and give them the example you gave me.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, it sounds like this change is just starting to roll out to people that have received the latest Win10 update.  This update is slowly being rolled out over the course of the next couple months.  Interestingly, this hasn't landed on my personal test machine, which lives ~6 months in the future from what's publicly available.  Good times.

What’s new in the Windows 10 Creators Update - Windows Experience BlogWindows Experience Blog

We're in the process of updating our docs for Edge to account for the changes, but at this point in time, I don't know that you actually do have control over this beyond what's surfaced (albeit sporadically based on the particular nuances of the content) in the Edge UI.

Microsoft takes feedback pretty seriously, and I'd strongly recommend passing your thoughts and comments along, particularly if you get any of those pop-up in-product surveys.

In the meantime, you may need to use a different browser to get an acceptable experience.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about OS, but I have the most recent update for Windows 10.

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 15:42 jeromiec83223024 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening even before the update for Windows 10

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 16:14 Virginia Vogt <virginia.m.vogt@gmail.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First things first, do you see animation when you go here?

http://www.homestarrunner.com/ or here Adobe - Flash Player

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The funny thing is, when I went to the first link it made me select for Flash. Then, I got a message stating Flash is blocked for the site, do I want to allow it? Once I said to always allow, the animation did start.

So, somehow there's something in the settings that while I have "use Adobe" toggled to on, it is blocked for certain websites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly the same prob. surely adobe can do something as this happens on a lot of portals I use!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines