• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Adobe installing McAfee software by stealth?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2010 Oct 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot understand why Adobe is installing McAfee software by stealth, and infuriating users like myself?

I cannot understand the mindset in a supposedly clever organisation that could imagine that this is OK?

It is fundamentally both deceitful and patronising.

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precisely. I hate this sneaking in stuff, leaving the default option as selected.

C'mmon Adobe, be a little more mature here. You don't need the kickbacks from McAfee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no option to be selected, I went to the update page, updated.

There was no options available at all, simply the only thing there to do was to update Flash.

After clicking allow it installs McAfee. Very pissed off.

There was no option to stop the install, no option to not install it in the first place, and no nidication, warning or any mention at all of McAfee until after the installation of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2010 Nov 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I signed up with this forum only to post my agreement: including a McAfee install with the Acrobat Reader X install is just plain stupid.  I have anti-virus software running, it works fine, and I don't need any more.  If i want a product, I'll go get it.  I don't want someone dumping it on my machine.  I hope Uninstalling it really got rid of everything, including whatever the bloody thing put in my registry.  This leaves a bad taste in my mouth for both Adobe and McAfee.  Yuk.

If there was an opt-out checkbox, I didn't see it.  The install took for bloody ever (announcing, for example, that Adobe 7 was running when it was not; apparently some component got stuck, who knows.  After much poking and jabing the install continued).  In my frustration, I may have missed a checkbox.  I don't care, the default sb "No".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2010 Nov 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenName314 wrote:

including a McAfee install with the Acrobat Reader X install is just plain stupid.

This is the Flash Player forum.

But both Flash Player and Adobe Reader downloads are available without any bundled software, and both of these download pages are published multiple times every day in each of the forums.  I simply don't understand why anybody would download the stuff that is added with the download manager...?

Flash Player downloads: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Adobe Reader downloads: http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2010 Nov 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'... I simply don't understand why anybody would download the stuff that is added with the download manager...?...'

So you've never been in a hurry and clicked through the (mostly pointless) check boxes on downloads then.

Congratulations, well done, clever boy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FlashOptometrist wrote:

So you've never been in a hurry and clicked through the (mostly pointless) check boxes on downloads then.

Certainly, never!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(1) the issue is the same, whether the Flash or Acrobat install.

(2) the install link was on the site providing the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2013 Dec 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no opt-out option on this morning's update of Flash! I know, because I cancelled the initial update, and tried it again, and verified there was no opt-out option. I used Revo Uninstaller to remove the program, and signed up, as others appearently have done, to voice my opinion about this.

I will also post this on my facebook page, as well as other venues, to voice my dislike of such behavior from Adobe.

KennZAney1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2012 Mar 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there was NO OPT OUT. Not only that, but when I cancelled the install because it was installing unauthorized software, it cancelled the Flash update but installed McAfee anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the start of the install, there is a checkbox to disable the added install (see highlighted area in screenshot below.)

3-6-2012 11-06-02 AM.png

I also tried canceling the install, by clicking on the X to close the install dialog and I was prompted if I wanted to cancel both installs.  When I clicked yes, both installs were canceled as expected.

I understand the concern about the checkbox being checked by default and I'll continue to voice that to our management team.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That screen print shows a checkbox for Google Toolbar.

It says nothing about McAfee.

The installer doesn't notice if another antivirus product is already installed.

This is exactly the behaviour that computer security companies (like McAfee) should be WARNING EVERYONE TO AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Then again, it WAS Mr McAfee that first thought to change antivirus software to use "blacklists", so he could charge annual renewal fees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanted to add a voice to this, disgusting behaviour. The latest Flash update provides NO option to customise the installation (i.e. remove unwanted McAfee Security). There may be an alternative download site, but the automatic update option has no options.

The more I use Adobe products, the less I want to. The sooner the web catches up with HTML5 and dumps Flash the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sicjoshsic wrote:

Wanted to add a voice to this, disgusting behaviour. The latest Flash update provides NO option to customise the installation (i.e. remove unwanted McAfee Security). There may be an alternative download site, but the automatic update option has no options.

The more I use Adobe products, the less I want to. The sooner the web catches up with HTML5 and dumps Flash the better.

You DO have the option to disable automatic updates. Your post doesn't read as though you don't know how to do that, but it's in the Global Settings under the Advanced tab. The downside is that you have to manually update, but the following links remain the same even though the file is updated with each release:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

They contain the FULL installer only. Bookmark them and you'll never have to bother with third party software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur, ..however now, Norton Security seems to be their default option. I just think if I'm being forced to install Adobe products I should have a say in what I install. I don't think users want to deal with compounded issues with Google, McAfee or Norton products whilst installing an application having little or nothing to do wth Adobe or its application. It's beginning to feel like Micro-shaft all over again. Not to mention dealing with all the unscrupulous characters exploiting the aforementioned products.

I mean is Adobe going to over remedies and solutions for these other products as well now that they are being installed with their products. Seems like they be putting themselves in the middle of possible legal reprcussions if hey continue on this course. Now as it stands Adobe could find themselves involve in the aforementioned companies lawsuits as well, I would want to be far away from similarly exploited products rather than closer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my voice on this issue.

The Flash Player downloader forced McAfee on me just recently. There may have been an option to disable its installation; if so, I guess I didn't notice it. Perhaps because its location is easy to ignore. It is deceptive and insulting to have it enabled by default, especially when it isn't related to the download, and when it messes with the system in a way that could easily cause stability issues (and some problems HAVE have been reported on this forum).

I've used McAfee's uninstall feature and so far have had no problems. But I believe Adobe's attitude on this matter is insulting, patronising and irresponsible.

I have nothing against Adobe. I use Adobe Audition regularly, although I think it's hugely overpriced considering how little it has improved since it was Cool Edit Pro. I also bought Premiere Elements, which I've found to be a bloated and buggy program with a nasty UI. Actually, perhaps I DO have something against Adobe! But those issues are nothing compared to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the worst kind of violation. I checked a box for not having ask toolbar and then i got mcAffe. Adobe, what direction are you going? I´m starting to miss Macromedia, they would never have done this kind of thing... Only not seriuos companies does things like this. Tihis sofware did nothing else than drive me to their website for comersials to by their stuff. I used to be an addicted flash developer and now I´m seriously concidering to abandon the whole concept. "We had some good days"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's disgusting. When I tried to update I didn't see any option to enable or disable mcafee installation this time. I didn't noticed until I saw how the download was progressing, with no button to cancel it, and get installed without asking for permission.

DISGUSTING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just posting to acknowledge that I ALSO witnessed McAfee being stealth installed by the flash update this morning.

It's ok though...I made sure to find all the top adobe torrents on all my different sites and I'm currently seedboxing them off a sick backbone.  Should have well over 100gigs uploaded by noon...maybe a lot more.  Every gig is a gig adobe doesn't get paid for.

This is what you get for scumbag behavior adobe.

Also GIMP is a lot easier to use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also just updated Flash and there was no option about installing Mcafee. Why are Adobe annoying customers by putting unrequested stuff on their computers. This leaves a very bad taste indeed. It shows very little concern for the people who use their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a limited few people who see this, trust me. EVERY six weeks, when there's an update, a few of them raise a stink like someone just reinvented the wheel.

Fact is there are MILIONS of downloads and updates every week, without a problem.

As I posted in reply #14, there are FULL offline installers which contain NOTHING but the plug-in.

People argue that they shouldn't have to use those because it's "inconvenient", but they took the time and effort to come here and rant about it, so "pick your battle".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

I did not use a 3rd party installer, this was the the actual Adobe installer that did not offer an opt-out option for the McAfee installation. I have since had another update, and the option was available. Guess they messed up on the former installation, or were trying to sneak it in under the radar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wouldn't surprise me that there are MILLIONS of people who either:

• don't realise what has happened (this was a stealth installation, remember)
  • don't realise when/how it happened, ie has anything to do with Adobe (this was a stealth installation, remeber).
  • don't realise Adobe has a forum
  • realise that Adobe's forum is probably intended for customers to help each other, and is not  a mechanism for feedback to management
  • couldn't be bothered trying to communicate about it; just remove the unwanted software. (Sort out your own life, but assume neither you nor anyone else should bear any sense of responsibility toward society)
  • can't tell the difference between a McAfee renewal prompt and a malware popup asking for money on a false premise. (Actually, there's not much difference. McAfee was the first to decide blacklisting was a good way to do computer security, as it requires renewals --> more money)
  • have no idea what software is on their computer, but when things go bad they either go to a local computer shop to get it sorted, or figure it must be time to buy a new computer anyway.

If the new versions/updates have it as a selectable option, that's reasonable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike

Thanks for the reply. This was not an automatic update. I requested the update from the Adobe site and was surprised when Mcafee did not offer an install option as it has in the past if I remember correctly.

In response to your reply #14. Pardon my stupidity but the Global Settings, Advanced tab of what exactly?

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Global Settings - Control Panel>System and Security>Flash Player (32-bit)... or right click ANY Flash content and choose "Global Settings". Then, under the advanced tab, you can choose your update preference.

I've seen the updater "blindly" install McAfee (in a test I did from a link provided by another poster here in the forums) and I, being a total control freak, will not have that on any system I own or maintain. That's why I ALWAYS disable the automatic updates and ALWAYS use the offline FULL installers.

I agree with everyone here, that it's not right for Adobe to do this, but I also know that no matter how big the uproar gets over it, it isn't going to change, because it involves making money for a offering a free product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines