• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is it so hard to manage a flashplayer installation?

New Here ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I screw up somehow.  When one installs flashplayer, it seems it installs itself as somehow undeleteable. This would be fine if:

1)  You supplied a "factory" uninstaller

or

2) Your "factory" install would clean up old versions.

The result of not having those is having MANY 3rd party programs out there that claim to clean things up for the user.  I suspect that many of these are scams, malware or worse, so I have not used them.  many folks have written to forums and for help in dealing with uninstall problems.  One would think bright programmers such as yourselves could clean this up....

I run a program called Secunia.  It alerts users about updates mand vulnerabilities .It is currently alerting about Adobe Flash Player 25.0.0.171 (IE).  It tells me that this program has multiple vulnerabilities.  I am running windows 10. I tried to delete the flash program, knowing that I could reinstall next time I tried to use the program.  That failed.  I tried to go to your website to reinstall and found out that 25.0.0.171 was the latest version.  Hmmm......  So I downloaded it and re installed it.  Had Secunia rescan it.  Same problem...

This raises several questions...  Are there different versions of 25.0.0.171?  Is any one of them safe to use?  How do I get the latest version? How do I get rid of previous versions?

Can't you folks get your act together?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hibedrock445 ,

As of Windows 8, Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE, and Edge in Windows 10, and all updates are released by Microsoft via Windows Update.  The embedded version is considered a protected system file and thus, the Flash Player uninstaller (which we do provide for Windows 7 and below, and does clean up all previous versions of Flash) does not run on Windows 8 and above.  Force deleting the embedded version will also leave your system in a state that you will not easily be able to re-install Flash Player via Windows Update.

I am not aware of active threats against Flash Player, and version 25.0.0.171 is the latest version, released on May 9th.  There is only one official version of Flash Player for each supported browser (e.g. ActiveX Control for IE/Edge, NPAPI for Firefox/Safari, PPAPI for Chrome/Opera).  Adobe doesn't release "variants" with the same version number.  If you have Secunia logs showing what active threats it's detecting please private message me the information and I'll forward it to the appropriate team to investigate further.  To send a private message click on my user_name link and the on the 'Message' button link.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines