• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is WhiteListUrlPattern not documented in Adobe Flash Admin guide.

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems Internet Explorer is ignoring AllowListUrlPattern, AllowListRootMovieOnly present in mms.cfg but honours when given as WhitListUrlPattern, WhiteListRootMovieOnly. I am cusrious why this is not  documented in the admin flash guide. We want to use this option as a stop-gap arrangement before we remove dependency on flash from our application. So, wanted to know if it is safe to use in this transition period. Thank You.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Yeah, we intitially released the feature with Whitelist instead of AllowList, a couple days before a company-wide engineering mandate to retire a number of problematic engineering terms for more inclusive language.  We updated the player and the documentation to use the more inclusive terms AllowList and BlockList in the following update, but it didn't land on Win8+, because Microsoft only takes security bearing fixes for Flash updates delivered through Windows Update.

I thought seriously abou

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the typo in the post, it is *WhiteListUrlPattern

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, we intitially released the feature with Whitelist instead of AllowList, a couple days before a company-wide engineering mandate to retire a number of problematic engineering terms for more inclusive language.  We updated the player and the documentation to use the more inclusive terms AllowList and BlockList in the following update, but it didn't land on Win8+, because Microsoft only takes security bearing fixes for Flash updates delivered through Windows Update.

I thought seriously about marking the terms deprecated in the docs, but given the proximity to Flash EOL and the goal of moving as an industry towards more inclusive language, I felt like enshrining those terms in the documentation for eternity (enterprise admins are going to be living with that final version of the guide for a loooong time) undermined the original goal of moving away from less inclusive language.

The good news is that the directives are equivalent in the code, and Microsoft should push out our October update to Win8+ users.  Timing conspired to keep this little blip in the market for a lot longer than I expected at the time when I updated the docs.  I would have made a different choice in hindsight, but I thought it was going to be a week or two, not a couple months.  Unfortunately, pushing another update out on the documentation front is really hard and fraught with peril for various reasons.  On the bright side, the audience for this feature is fairly narrow, and only a handful of folks have posted about it.  I still feel bad for the confusion, though.  

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines