• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

will flash player automatically switch to html5 when it's gone or do I have to do it manually

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making a gaming website and would like to know this. Honestly I'd much rather you just keep flash but I still want to know if I should keep working on this website.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Nothing will happen automatically. The game must be made again using different methods. You should absolutely not be making a gaming web site today using Flash, it will just stop working.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing will happen automatically. The game must be made again using different methods. You should absolutely not be making a gaming web site today using Flash, it will just stop working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can keep it for users who will use old OS and browsers, then make a javascript browser checker

to redirect the user to an AIR app to download or webassembly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So will I have to switch my websites game code to html? Or can I leave it as-is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you can reprogam all your game in html5/javascript so you can then switch in pure html/js mode.

but if it's not the case so just follow what I said above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a script I can use to do it all at the same time? I'm bad at coding I only know html & few select commands in javascript so it would help if someone already knew a way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think html5 will end up owning the .swf files because if we just switch the plugin to something else like html5 then it should just automatically run all the files from that plugin right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not reprogram your game, only a few people will be able to use it: experts, enthusiasts or people with very old computers. So, if you want to keep your customers/visitors, you need to stop using Flash. Very soon. Firefox will stop access to Flash this year, not in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So will I have to switch my websites game code to html? Or can I leave it as-is?

Short answer, you need to change it.  As @ mentioned, there is no magical automatic conversion of Flash to HTML5.  However, you can use Adobe Animate to republish Flash in HTML5.  A 'convert Flash to HTML5' search will give you lots of resources, such as What to expect when converting Flash to HTML5 | Adobe Blog

All major browser vendors will stop supporting Flash at the end of 2020, when Flash will be end-of-lifed.

Flash & The Future of Interactive Content | Adobe Blog

All major browser vendors already make it difficult to view Flash, by blocking it by default and only providing an 'allow once' option to allow Flash.

Chrome and Firefox have published Flash roadmaps one when they'll stop supporting Flash.

Flash Roadmap - The Chromium Projects

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/

For Adobe AIR (mentioned as an alternative), Adobe published a The Future of Adobe AIR | Adobe Blog blog post recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be that there is no smarter answer than "stop using Flash" and I intend to repeat it as often as it seems appropriate. Thank you for your concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what's your goal here? repel users or find a better solution than a monolithic answer?

there are solutions, and say "stop using flash" is not a solution, it's a dictation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also I already put all the games on there as flash and I'm using wix because im bad at coding which will not let me re-downlaod the swf files after I deleted them from my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is I don't know whether or not html5 is free. I don't want my to be charged with bills for using it. And I'm worried that when adobe flash is over, I'm screwed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML5 is already part of your web browser (Edge, Chrome, Safari, FireFox, Internet Explorer). There is nothing extra to  buy or download. Most web sites that once used Flash have already converted. Other Flash sites, not converted, will simply stop working NOT change to some new magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I don't know whether or not html5 is free."

Code is code.  HTML5 code is not only free, it is the current web standard and backbone of every website on the Internet.  There's no permission needed and nothing to download or install.  You can start writing your own HTML5 code in any plain text or code editor of choice.

-- Adobe Brackets (open source) - http://brackets.io/
-- Adobe Dreamweaver CC - https://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver.html
-- Visual Studio Code (open source) - https://code.visualstudio.com/

To build apps though you need a working knowledge of HTML, CSS and some JavaScript.  Read the chapters, do code exercises and take quizzes at the end.
- https://www.w3schools.com/html/
- https://www.w3schools.com/css/
- https://www.w3schools.com/js/

Animations in HTML5 <canvas>
https://cloudinary.com/blog/creating_html5_animations

Happy coding!

🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines