Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Win XP-32 computer and Chrome

Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Realtor in Charlotte, NC. I am using an older Win XP-32 computer and Chrome. I went to access my Multiple Listing Service and the data for my Listings would not display. I reviewed the Plug-Ins that I have been running forever (not updated) and one Plug-In says, “Adobe Flash Player - Version: 22.0.0.209 Download Critical Security Update  Shockwave Flash 22.0 r0”  

1. Is it safe for me to download Version 22.0.0.209 ?
  2. Will it work with XP-32 and older Chrome?
  3. Will this download effect other applications on my computer
  4. Or will the download just effect my Multiple Listing Software accessed via the cloud?

Your help is very much appreciated!! 

Scott

Charlotte, NC 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Latest version of Adobe Flash Player released today is 27.0.0.183. 22.0.0.209 is an old version and we do not recommend using such old versions of Flash Player. As per my understanding, XP-32 is not SP3 version. XP versions prior to SP3 do not support sha256 certificates, which Flash Player uses.  You can try downloading the offline installers and see if it works for you from Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier support page.

For Chrome, Flash Player comes installed with Chrome and all Flash Player updates are pushed by Google as part of Chrome updates. Since Google stopped supporting Chrome on XP, you will not be able to update the same. You can use PPAPI Flash Player(for Chromium browsers) available on supoort page.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ridhijain!

Thank you very much for your reply!  My version of XP-32 is SP3; and until yesterday, I had no issues w/ my plug-in being “out of date”. My version of Chrome is also old 49.0.2623.112 m .   Since I am using SP3, can you recommend a flash plug-in that will work?  I am assuming from your reply that I cannot use the old version (22.0.0.209) because of security issues(?).  Can I use the newer version (27.0.0.183) ?  If yes, how can I load 27.0.0.183 to my computer?  From the Adobe website? 

You mentioned that I can use a “PPAPI Flash Player(for Chromium browsers)” – can I get this from the Adobe website?  Will it install to the correct location in my OS? 

Thank you again for your help & patience. I am sorry I am asking so many questions!

Peace!

Scott

Charlotte, NC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome 49 uses the embedded Flash Player which is saved at a different location than when you install Flash Player manually.  Chrome 49 doesn't know about the non-embedded Flash Player location, therefore, it won't launch it.  There are work-arounds, but they require some hacks.  If you're a realtor and do any sort of contract, banking etc, on the XP system you're opening up yourself and your clients to serious security vulnerabilities as XP is lacking years worth of security updates and it's an easy target for malicious hackers.  For now, Firefox still supports XP, but Mozilla will end support for XP/Vista at the end of the year (Important - Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista | Firefox Help​) and Microsoft already has stopped supported IE on XP.  Essentially, it's time to move on to a supported OS, especially if you're dealing with customer contracts/banking/etc on that XP system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings M Vargas!  Thank you for your reply. You are right, my current system is very old.  I do not do any Banking on this computer or use a Contract software (such as Dotloop or Docusign). I do access YouTube videos and use Outlook for emails, but that is about it. Can I install a plug-in to the right location that can be utilized with my XP-32 SP3?  I will certainly consider migrating to a modern system. Thank you for your help!  Peace!  Scott -Charlotte, NC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See comment #3 at cannot update Flash, Chrome on WinXP

This is a non-supported hack.  It may or may not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings M Vargas! Thank you very much for your quick reply! I will

review this asap. It may be to technical for me, but I will make an effort

to understand the work-around Thank you very much for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines