Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 - Whitelist sites for use of Flash content

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

After an inital block at the beginning of the year we are now looking to enable Flash again on Win10 (1703 and 1709)

Is there a way of whitelisting sites? We have EnterPriseModeList enabled so IE or Edge both are viable solutions.

Basically looking for "EnableIEClickToPlay" funktion for Win10

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Your assertion is technically correct.  Our goal with the feature was to fill the void for Internet Explorer on older Windows versions.  The other browsers already had similar controls in place.  Adding our own controls would not replace or supersede the ones already in the host browser, and we weren't looking to double-prompt people or introduce redundant sets of controls.

If you find that the administrative controls in a particular browser are inadequate for your needs, we'd recommend that you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite clear about what you did or what you're looking to do.

The available configuration options for Flash Player are enumerated in the Flash Player administrator's guide:Adobe Flash Player Administration Guide for Flash Player | Adobe Developer Connection

That said, the browsers are imposing click-to-play behavior on Flash Player (with the exception of ActiveX on Windows 7 and below, which we voluntarily added).  The configuration flag you're referencing is related to that functionality.

For all other browsers and operating systems, you'll need to look at administrative controls for those browsers and operating systems.

A quick Google search turns up the following:

Group Policy and Mobile Device Management settings for Microsoft Edge (Microsoft Edge for IT Pros) |...

There's an "Allow Flash" option that looks like it would be appropriate.

I can't find a precise set of administrative options for IE11 on Win10, but I imagine that the approach is similar, if required.

This looks like the right neighborhood to me, but I didn't find a comprehensive list of options:Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) - Deployment Guide for IT Pros (Internet Explorer 11 for IT Pros) | Micr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeromiec83223024!

Thanks for your reply. We would like to control (whitelist) which sites are allowed to use flash on the Win10 plattform (1709)

If I understand correctly, current settings allow only "on or off". On would mean we hand Pandora's box over to the users, off means we shut the door completely.

The documents you refer to is what I have read and base my question on. It appears that on Win7 and below there is a function in flash that is not available to flash on Win10 - in this case whitelisting. Is that true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your assertion is technically correct.  Our goal with the feature was to fill the void for Internet Explorer on older Windows versions.  The other browsers already had similar controls in place.  Adding our own controls would not replace or supersede the ones already in the host browser, and we weren't looking to double-prompt people or introduce redundant sets of controls.

If you find that the administrative controls in a particular browser are inadequate for your needs, we'd recommend that you talk to the relevant browser vendor(s).

For Edge, it looks like you either get to allow or disable Flash Player wholesale across the browser, but there's no whitelist offered.  Alternatively, you can leave Flash Player enabled, but have ClickToRun enabled with a whitelist.  It's not perfect, but it would significantly limit your exposure.  The user would have to manually allow content to play, and it's pretty unlikely that banner ads and other injected page content would get activated.

Anyway, I found some documentation here, but they don't describe how to configure the allow list:

Group Policy and Mobile Device Management settings for Microsoft Edge (Microsoft Edge for IT Pros) |...

I've got an email in to the Edge team to see if they can share some guidance on how to approach this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again Jeromiec83223024,

I'll mark this question as answered, but I'ld love to hear a reply from the "Edge team" if you get a valid response.

Tim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines