Copied

Configuration:

• Windows XP SP3 x86
  • FlashDevelop IDE 3.2.1
  • Flex SDK 3.5.0.12683
  • Browsers: Firefox 3.6.4 (with Firebug and Flashbug) and IE8
  • Flash Player Debugger 10.1.53.64

Issue Overview:

Since upgrading from the debug player 10.0.45.2 to the latest 10.1.53.64, I've found that my trace statements are no long written to flashlog.txt from either Firefox or IE. No logs are written, which is a pretty big deal during development.

Consider that it does affect the players in both browsers. I do have mm.cfg configured correctly as per the KB instructions (no change was required, although I did experiment). I am indeed compiling in debug mode. It's not a Flashbug issue as flashlog.txt never gets updated.

Research:

I wasn't able to find much of anything in my searching. There was maybe one blog post with comments suggesting a similar issue with a 10.1RC, but didn't offer up any solutions (I hadn't been developing with the RCs). Also, I couldn't find a relevant entry in the Flash Player bug tracker.

Workaround?

For the time being, I am forced to revert back to 10.0.45.2 which worked immediately. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 24, 2010 Jun 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running that same version of the player and FlashBug/Firebug are working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I expect this was a sweeping 10.1 fail, the dev community would have been screaming bloody murder from the first pre-releases.

As far as I can tell, the only change is the updated debug player. I did just update to XP SP3, but the former player works fine under it. I've run through the KB instructions to enable logging, but was already good to go. Maybe there's something minor that I'm missing or something that 10.0 tolerated that 10.1 is not so kind with.

For the sake of completeness, here's my mm.cfg contents:

ErrorReportingEnable=0 # Enables the logging of error messages.  0/1
TraceOutputFileEnable=1 # Enables trace logging. 0/1
MaxWarnings=100 # Sets the number of warnings to log before stopping.

#flashlog - undocumented
TraceOutputBuffered=0 # Traces will be buffered and write to disk multiple lines in one access
AS3Verbose=0 # Traces detailed information about SWF ByteCode structure and Runtime parsing of the bytecode
AS3Trace=0 # Trace every single call to any function that is being called in the SWF at runtime
AS3StaticProfile=0 # Enables Just in Time Compiler (NanoJIT) logs.
AS3DynamicProfile=0 # Shows dynamic information about the opcodes being called and gives statistic for each. The statistics include count, cycles, %count, %times and CPI

#policyfiles
PolicyFileLog=0 # Enables policy file logging
PolicyFileLogAppend=0 # Optional; do not clear log at startup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you installed a debugger version of 10.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Definitely the debugger versions which I tried in both browsers. Flashbug recognized it and it has the expected menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Windows XP Service Pack 3

My flashlog.txt is located at

"c:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\Logs\flashlog.txt"

Under 10.1.51.66 Debug player "flashlog.txt" is filled with warnings due to https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-4615

Warning: 'StageVideo' has no property 'prototype'

Warning: 'AsBroadcaster' has no property 'addListener'

Warning: 'AsBroadcaster' has no property 'removeListener'

Under 10.1.53.64 Debug Player those warnings are gone (hurray) and flashtlog.txt file is correctly recreated every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still stumped on this. I'm configured correctly (as far as I can tell). A known issue is that you can't debug while an AIR app is running because it holds a lock on the log file for some reason. This doesn't apply to my situation though.

Works perfectly fine whenever I revert back to 10.0.x. I would like to actually be able to debug in the current build. That and benefit from the latest round of security fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue, so i can confirm its not an isolated problem.

The only difference is that i'm running Windows 7.

Any ideas on this would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, my flashlog.txt is never fill... I don't understand why...

With flashplayer 10.0.x : it's OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the answer, but I think that there is now someone besides the AIR Runtime that is leaving the file locked.  I think if you try to clear the Trace file out of Firebug you have a pretty good chance of getting a #3013 error.  In my test environment, I can clear that by re-starting Firefox -- annoying, but at least it lets me get back to testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no lock reported on the Trace log file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Flash Builder console work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Flash Builder (see the first post).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on OS X and have the same problem with Chrome and Firefox.  FP 10.1.53.64.

I went so far as to remove the Macromedia folder and reinstall FP 10.1 Debugger and no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also failing to get trace output in flashlog.txt. I have the following statements in mm.cfg:

ErrorReportingEnable=1
TraceOutputFileEnable=1

but I get no trace output.

Curiously, flashlog.txt was modified earlier today, apparently by Photoshop; here's the entire contents of the file:

Load Bundle at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Extensions **********Running app: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Extensions\ScriptUIFlexServer-app.xml ScriptUI is ready. Host logging disabled Debug tracing disabled Finished loading style definitions

But debugging in Flash Builder with the debug Flash Player V10.1.53.64 produces no trace output in the file.

Windows 7 x64

Firefox 3.6.8

David Salahi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been researching this some more. Also, don't get any logging of trace statements from Flash Pro CS5. Furthermore, no logging of trace statements in Flashbug (for Firebug) nor in De MonsterDebugger although the MonsterDebugger does connect to the running SWF. No logging from the ActiveX version of the debug player in IE either.

David Salahi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried Flash CS5, but I was seeing trace() statements in Flash

Builder.

-EF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Close PS, i wrote an semi indept blog post about this

http://ihaveinternet.com/2010/08/05/scriptuiflexserver-and-flashlog-txt/

And the Bug

https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-5176

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks a million for the tip! That was the problem. Exiting Photoshop gets my flashlog.txt logging back along with trace output in Flashbug.

Thanks again,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for the tip, but it don't work for me, my flashlog.txt isn't locked by any process (I have checked with Process Explorer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional info from someone on the player team:

I tried TraceLogging and it is working for me just fine on WinXP SP3 for

both IE an FF.

The user mentions that he upgraded to SP3...is it possible he needs to reset

his HOMEPATH environment variable?

%HOMEDRIVE% %HOMEPATH%

(type, e.g., echo %HOMEPATH% at a command prompt)

Regarding the Win 7 user, the path to the log file has changed since the OS

changed and I believe it is now located in the SysWow or SysWow32 or

something like that. Sorry don't have a Win 7 machine at this time to locate

exactly. Also on Win Vista the path is different from XP

Vista: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\Logs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, the path on Windows 7 is:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\Logs\flashlog.txt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flex harUI wrote:

Additional info from someone on the player team:

I tried TraceLogging and it is working for me just fine on WinXP SP3 for

both IE an FF.

The user mentions that he upgraded to SP3...is it possible he needs to reset

his HOMEPATH environment variable?

%HOMEDRIVE% %HOMEPATH%

(type, e.g., echo %HOMEPATH% at a command prompt)

Regarding the Win 7 user, the path to the log file has changed since the OS

changed and I believe it is now located in the SysWow or SysWow32 or

something like that. Sorry don't have a Win 7 machine at this time to locate

exactly. Also on Win Vista the path is different from XP

Vista: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\Logs

My HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH variables have indeed been messed with (thank you IT!). I've tried changing them to "C:" and "\Documents and Settings\<user> respectively in the command line using set. The changes register there, but still no logging. Not sure if maybe IT's environment variable settings stick behind the scenes in a fun, unintuitive way. Their values of course get reinstated on login.

The LiveDocs report that for XP log files are placed in:            C:\Documents and Settings\username

whereas  95/98/ME places them in: %HOMEDRIVE%\%HOMEPATH

This perhaps suggests that there could be some different logic going on in XP which obviously changed with 10.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - Just noticed that 10.1.82.76 has been released. Gave it a try and logging still doesn't work. Not a huge surprise, but it was worth a shot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup same here. Upgraded to 10.1.8 and still no logging on OS X. Haven't

tried PC yet.

BTW, Chrome wasn't updated but Firefox was. Is there a Chrome player update

somewhere?

-EF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines