• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Builder 4.7 and design view question

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have programmed a large, commercial level mobile application using Flash Builder 4.6. It is working GREAT when ran on both iOS and Android devices. 

I was using the trial version of Flash Builder 4.6 to develop this application. I used the states feature that FB has built in to handle Portrait, Landscape, and Phone / Tablet configs. This means that I built 4 different layouts for all 8 of my views in my mobile application. Using the design view in FB 4.6 was what allowed me to do this.

I have to say that I LOVE Flash Builder so far. GREAT tool. 

My trial ended just last week. I had to purchase version 4.7 of the software, only to find out that they REMOVED the design view from the software.

All complaining aside, what have other programmers who are in the same boat as me done as a solution? I would like to continue to program in AS and Flash Builder as I have taken the time to write the application and learn the whole platform. 

As it stands now, I am in the process of downgrading my liscence keys from 4.7 to 4.6, but in order to do this I had to RETURN my retail version of FB 4.7 premium (bought online) and buy a volume liscening version (NOT through adobe, only allowed to do this through a reseller such as CDW). then once I have a key for 4.7 through volume liscencing, it can be downgraded to 4.6.

I'm hoping to get input from others in the same boat. Did you change Programming languages? if so, to what? Did you change IDE's? If so, to what?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to use flex 4.9.1 in Flashbuilder4.6 with Design view.

Originally posted here by RandomReado...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5100087#5100087

Remove Flex SDK 4.9 from Flash Builder 4.6 (if already exists)
In the Flex SDK 4.9 folder, edit the "flex-sdk-description.xml" file, changing the "version" number from "4.9.0" to "4.6.0"
Re-add the SDK into Flash Builder
Open a project and choose to use Flex SDK 4.9
Open Design View

I just verified this works.

Also, if you want to ditch Adobe, IntelliJ available at www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/index.html

with flash-ui-designer plug-in enables a Design View option for flex 4.9.1

You can't drag and drop anything but you can see what something looks like without having to compile the project.

I guess we "DO" have a couple of options for Design View and apache flex builds after all.

Especially since there will be no future Perpetual License Versions available.

Only Creative Cloud Monthly Membership versions where we can only "Rent" the software.

How lame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pauland, I hope you are not officially associated with Adobe or a programmer in the real world. Either scenario would scare me.

You create a product, like Flex Builder, for the people that use it and for the way they use it, not for the way you use it.

Design view is not about bad programming practice it's about getting a commercial job done quickly for a paying client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pauland, I hope you are not officially associated with Adobe or a programmer in the real world. Either scenario would scare me.

You had better be scared, then.

I have no association with Adobe.

Some people used design view, some didn't. I think the majority didn't. Adobe is walking from Flex so it's pretty natural they don't want to be continue devlopment  for a product they no longer wish to support commercially or earn revenue from.

Nobody said using design view was bad practice, it's just inadequate for the applications I was developing and I found it cumbersome to use compared to writing the code. Often, with dynamic interfaces, Design View was a waste of time.

If you're a fan of DV, then fine, but expecting it to come back is a waste of your energy, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Pauland. In my projects the Design View was very infrequently used and removing it hasn't affected my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2015 Jan 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Creative Cloud CC for $50 a month (one year sub) and I can tell you across the board Adode royally screwed up their applications by dropping widely used features. I should have got the free one month trail version because if I had, I never would have purchased it. In all my years in web applications development I have never seen effective features (especially convenient drag drop features) from programming tools. if anything it is just the opposite were apps tend to try and do MORE Drag Drop options and move away from slow hand typed coding. A perfect example for a design view in builder 4.7 is the grid view. the design view makes easy work of the grid which would take 10 times that long in core coding. not to mention if you are new to the software and open the app .... a new user would not even know where to begin with out the design view or what components there are available.  I give Adobe CC product two thumbs down and a kick in the pants. ONE PISSED OFF CUSTOMER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People have been shocked since at least 2013 that Adobe's Flash Builder dropped Design View. Why would Adobe do such a crazy thing? I assume because Flash Builder is dead as far as Adobe is concerned. They haven't updated it for eons. Exactly why that's the case I don't know. I guess it wasn't popular enough and/or didn't enchance the use of Flash or something. Maybe the free FlashDevelop software was just to good for Flash Builder to compete against.

But anyway, it's clear that Adobe could care less about Flash Builder complaints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you almost got it right...try " it's clear that Adobe could care less about complaints"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very glad Adobe has a trial period, because I would have bought FB until I found out they didn't have design view. They have just cut out a huge market of amateur coders like myself.... Its ok... once they see their profits drop, they will bring it back. Adobe I loved your products but you really dropped the ball with getting rid of design view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a coder and designer I like to have tools to do both. Removing design view was a mistake that I hope will be rectified soon

I have a workaround in the meantime:

In your flex SDK folder, locate the file flex-sdk-description.xml

Mine was in: c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.12.0\flex-sdk-description.xml

It will contain something like this:

<flex-sdk-description>

<name>Apache Flex 4.11.0 FP 11.9 AIR 3.9 en_US</name>

<version>4.6.0</version>

<build>20131017</build>

</flex-sdk-description>

Change your version to 4.0.0 like this (you may have to set the file permissions to allow you to save)

<flex-sdk-description>

<name>Apache Flex 4.11.0 FP 11.9 AIR 3.9 en_US</name>

<version>4.0.0</version>

<build>20131017</build>

</flex-sdk-description>

That will enable design view, I haven't had problems doing this but obviously I advise caution and there may of course be glitches with newer components

Regards

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines