Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Goodbye Flex, Hello Ruby on Rails

Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe announced it is halting development of Flash Player for mobile in the browser, but it will continue support for AIR on mobile devices.

Will Flex survive long term? I have my doubts.

I'll still develop my skills in Flex and see what happens with Flex 5, but I'll also start studying Ruby on Rails, which I actually dislike because it seems so obscure, but there are more jobs in RoR and I hear the pay rates are better.

Good job Adobe. Glad to see you're able to get the job done! Not.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be jumping ship, but I bet you continue to use Adobe technologies. Also, you can bring in google maps anywhere. Flex, or Flash Builder now, is a very powerfull tool. They fantastic thing now is you can basically code one app and deploy it on different mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoR is not a competitor to Flex. RoR is worth learning but that has nothing to do with the decline or otherwise of Flex. You can use RoR with Flex. See for example http://flexonrails.com/. If you're trying to replace your Flex skills learn another front-end technology like HTML5 or Java Swing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got it.

Java v RoR

Flex v Silverlight v Other Crap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines