• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Test AIR 1.5

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2008 Nov 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this seems slightly off center, but I blame Adobe, not myself. Trying to determine the true status and positioning of AIR amongst the various Flex forums and projects for an outsider is practically impossible. So, I will be brief. In September Mr. Chambers sent opened the flow by telling us that we could find FP10 integrated with Flex SDK in something you call 1.5 or Cosmo, or both. He was properly circumspect, so I didn't rush into it -- there was not even an ADL binary when I checked. Now it is November, the Trunk is at 4005, and ostensibly, everything we need to start trying to take advantage of FP support of 3D operations is out there. But where? Where do we get a version of AIR 1.5 that can be installed on a target desktop, so that we can try to run the ADT test cycle?

Call it Gumbo, call it Flex4, call it whatever, but can someone tell us how to start testing it for AIR application deployment?

Thank you.
TOPICS
Developers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2008 Dec 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<div class=Section1><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>Since <a href="http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-18202">http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-18202</a><br />does not fix the problem you are seeing please write another bug and post a<br />link to the bug back to this forum. Thanks.<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><div style='border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><b><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span></b><span<br />style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Terry Corbet<br />[mailto:member@adobeforums.com] <br><br /><b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:16 PM<br><br /><b>To:</b> flexsdk-dev@adobeforums.com<br><br /><b>Subject:</b> Re: How to Test AIR 1.5<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'>A new message was posted by<br />Terry Corbet in <br><br /><br><br /><b>Developers</b> --<br><br />  How to Test AIR 1.5<br><br /><br><br />Darrell, <br><br /><br><br />Thanks for monitoring this thread and for your suggestion. I know that this is<br />not the forum for bug reporting, so I will wrap this thread up and follow up<br />over there. <br><br /><br><br />This thread was started in the hopes of getting a clear, positive white paper<br />to deal with the disconnect between discussions of 'modularization' in an<br />AIR/Flex application as contrasted with just a plain old Flex application, and<br />maybe there is now enough interest that someone will consider doing that. <o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><div class=MsoNormal><br /><br /><hr size=2 width=200 style='width:150.0pt' align=left><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'>View/reply at <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.59b6ed86/17">How to Test AIR 1.5</a><br><br />Replies by email are OK.<br><br />Use the <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?280@@.59b6ed86!folder=.3c060fa3">unsubscribe</a><br />form to cancel your email subscription.<o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /></div>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt says that on his page he has an option to add an attachment, but that does not appear on mine, so here is Select All, Copy, Paste out of the PDF document:

=========================================================================
AIR Modularization One Point of View
Background/Preface
I have been seeking an answer to just one limited question from a myriad of questions that could fall under the heading of AIR Modularization. Now Alex Harui has replied with some suggestions and has asked for some input concerning a broader set of issues that need to be considered. My intention, in this document, is just to respond to Alexs suggestions within my original, limited scope. I do hope that others will address the broader issues, and I dont minimize them in any sense. But, at the end of the day, I am most comfortable in speaking to the matters that have arisen from my own attempts to develop a workable modularization scheme.
The Basic Architecture of the Application
When the application is launched the user sees a simple screen that is divided vertically between a left and a right side. The left side displays the functionality of the application in the form of a Menu Tree. The right side uses the TabNavigator control for providing the stack of Functional Features. We previously developed most of the functional capabilities using the Java SWT toolkit, and had essentially the same layout and the same controls.
So, that is just to say, that we think this general presentation is clear and open-ended in ways that make it relatively easy to engineer an ever-growing set of Functional Features. Examples of Functional Features are a JukeBox, a Shared White Board, a Content Management System, a Sudoku Game and 3D Books with interactive content. Those are what we consider modules. They are virtually independent sub-applications that might otherwise just be run as fully-separate applications in separate invocations in their own Operating System windows. Of course, we dont want to offer them as separate applications running in separate windows; we want to coordinate things through a common infrastructure, and common look-and-feel.
The degree of independence of these types of modules is such that it is usually possible for the engineer to go off and perform most of the development and test as stand-alone code in order to maximize test turn-arounds. Unit testing and even some integration testing can take place without having to bring the whole main application up and down all the time. I think there is nothing very unique about our approach, so I am certain that many other developers work in a similar environment. [That is not to imply that there are not other approaches that may have rather different characteristics and requirements.]
AIRness
So, as described to this point, we can achieve most of what we want to achieve just with the Flex api, and, indeed, that is basically how we prototype new Functional Features. But there are compelling capabilities that are only available by moving up to the AIR api.
With more and more folks having wide screens or dual monitors, it is natural to want to break out of the constraints of rectangular Panels obscuring each other in a stack.
Now you might argue that just using AIR for more interesting windows is not a very deep investment in all that AIR has to offer, and that wont hurt my feelings. Of course we also take advantage of many other AIR-only capabilities, but admittedly the driving force is more interesting visual experiences, and stating that may help you understand why there are many other considerations in the topic of AIR Modularization, on which we do not concentrate. Again, that is not to indicate that we are unappreciative of the larger issues, but it is to emphasize what we believe, which is that the functional capability we are seeking ought to be made available immediately rather than waiting until AIR matures or the whole picture can be understood.
Provisioning and Version Management
Rather than answering questions about whether our application runs entirely or primarily off-line we think it is more helpful to describe our requirement for network access in terms of the way the software gets to the desktop. Whether a new Functional Feature ends up being designed and built in such a way that the user can take full advantage of it on-line or off-line is a continuously-changing thing. If today, an inventory of our sub-applications happened to show that 80% of them could be used off-line, the on-line requirement for the remaining 20% would still be there. In short, at least for our business model, we would never be interested in shipping entirely off-line applications, so network traffic will always have to be well managed.
Given that, it seems to be more helpful to look at network activity in the context of getting the Functional Features to the desktop from a server. In other words, even though we are devoted to AIRness, from the standpoint of software downloading, we look at lot more like what I think you expect for Flex.
Yes, the user should normally start-up our application from his desktop, and he ought to be able to succeed in doing that even when he has no Internet access. He ought always to be able to use the Functional Features that can be used off-line. That said, if the user wants the latest and greatest we expect him to start up with an Internet connection. So, our startup sequence looks like this:
A.
Read a VersionManifest from the Application Directory.
B.
On a module-by-module basis compare the Version in the Version Manifest with the Currently Installed Version List that is stored in the Application Storage Directory. If the VersionManifest says there is newer code available, download it.
So, as you can tell by reading-between-the-lines our process for pushing out an update does not involve pushing out the new code. We just push the new VersionManifest, the code will be fetched later. That gives us lots of flexibility in terms of different configurations of our application at each customer site. While a test/release cycle will
likely update many modules, not all users may need, or even have access to all modules. Moreover, if all we need to update is a small amount of code in only one Functional Feature, we can easily do that without holding up the whole release cycle for some sort of magic integrated everything. Our modularization allows more responsiveness to the customer and to the competition.
So, are we concerned about bandwidth? Yes we are. Its not that we are looking to save a couple of megabytes every time any user runs anything, its that we are looking to save a couple of megabytes every test/release cycle. And that is probably the main point of all of this. Whether it is because we are dumb, or because we are clever, the frequency of test/release cycles is NOT anything like once in a while, it is more like every two weeks for production. For rapid prototyping, and maybe premature bug-fixing, lets face it, our needs are often something like every night! [Not to mention the fact that it is important to have geographically-disbursed development centers if you are larger and more successful than we are and so saving a couple of megabytes of data traffic to refresh a remote development/test location is something that might easily occur several times an hour.]
Please may we use Dynamically-Linked, Cached Frameworks
For now, thats all we are asking. You already have engines I am not sure whether all the logic is in the Flash Player, or whether the AIR runtime just shares some source code from the Player build stream in its own stream, but wherever it lives, it already knows how to recognize when a swf file needs to be linked to a .swz file. In the Flex case, the engine knows where to look for the necessary .swz file, and so should it quite as easily know where to look in the AIR case. It is, as far as I can tell, just a ma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, not only did we lose all the formatting, the indentation the structure that I hoped to provide you with a well-formed document, it also appears that there is a size limit that truncated the previous posting, so you will have to stitch them back together. Sorry, I tried my best.

=========================================================================

For now, thats all we are asking. You already have engines I am not sure whether all the logic is in the Flash Player, or whether the AIR runtime just shares some source code from the Player build stream in its own stream, but wherever it lives, it already knows how to recognize when a swf file needs to be linked to a .swz file. In the Flex case, the engine knows where to look for the necessary .swz file, and so should it quite as easily know where to look in the AIR case. It is, as far as I can tell, just a matter of documenting the rules.
Now how about saving us the hassle
In the Flex environment, if our application wants to use the cached framework files, we have to put those files on our servers. In the AIR environment, we have to put those files on the desktop. In both cases, it seems like the most efficient solution would be that the runtime engine just fetch the necessary version of the required framework files from a central [distributed] Adobe site. In the same manner in which there is already fall-back logic to look for a non-signed file if a signed one cannot be found. Let the logic be to fall-back to our web server in the Flex case, or fall-back to the Application Directory in the AIR case. That way, if the use case makes sense and I am not sure it does even an AIR application developer who is just focused on non-network-connected applications will get the desired result.
======================================================================

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Monday 01 Dec 2008, Terry Corbet wrote:
> So, not only did we lose all the formatting, the indentation the structure
> that I hoped to provide you with a well-formed document, it also appears
> that there is a size limit that truncated the previous posting, so you will
> have to stitch them back together. Sorry, I tried my best.

Yeah, Adobe Forums needs some more love to compete with what people are used
to from Google/Yahoo groups.

--
Tom Chiverton
Helping to confidentially orchestrate frictionless professional advanced
methodologies

This email is sent for and on behalf of Halliwells LLP.

Halliwells LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales under registered number OC307980 whose registered office address is at Halliwells LLP, 3 Hardman Square, Spinningfields, Manchester, M3 3EB. A list of members is available for inspection at the registered office. Any reference to a partner in relation to Halliwells LLP means a member of Halliwells LLP. Regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority.

CONFIDENTIALITY

This email is intended only for the use of the addressee named above and may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you must not read it and must not use any information contained in nor copy it nor inform any person other than Halliwells LLP or the addressee of its existence or contents. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify Halliwells LLP IT Department on 0870 365 2500.

For more information about Halliwells LLP visit www.halliwells.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few more months...<br /><br /><br />On 12/1/08 3:50 PM, "Tom Chiverton" <member@adobeforums.com> wrote:<br /><br />A new message was posted by Tom Chiverton in<br /><br />Developers --<br /> How to Test AIR 1.5<br /><br />On Monday 01 Dec 2008, Terry Corbet wrote:<br />> So, not only did we lose all the formatting, the indentation the structure<br />> that I hoped to provide you with a well-formed document, it also appears<br />> that there is a size limit that truncated the previous posting, so you will<br />> have to stitch them back together. Sorry, I tried my best.<br /><br />Yeah, Adobe Forums needs some more love to compete with what people are used<br />to from Google/Yahoo groups.<br /><br />--<br />Tom Chiverton<br />Helping to confidentially orchestrate frictionless professional advanced<br />methodologies<br /><br /><br /><br />****************************************************<br /><br />This email is sent for and on behalf of Halliwells LLP.<br /><br />Halliwells LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales under registered number OC307980 whose registered office address is at Halliwells LLP, 3 Hardman Square, Spinningfields, Manchester, M3 3EB. A list of members is available for inspection at the registered office. Any reference to a partner in relation to Halliwells LLP means a member of Halliwells LLP. Regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority.<br /><br />CONFIDENTIALITY<br /><br />This email is intended only for the use of the addressee named above and may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you must not read it and must not use any information contained in nor copy it nor inform any person other than Halliwells LLP or the addressee of its existence or contents. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify Halliwells LLP IT Department on 0870 365 2500.<br /><br />For more information about Halliwells LLP visit www.halliwells.com.<br /><br /><br />------------------------------------------------------<br />View/reply at <a href=http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.59b6ed86/27><br />Replies by email are OK.<br />Use the unsubscribe form at <a href=http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?280@@.59b6ed86!folder=.3c060fa3> to cancel your email subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can mail me the doc and I can see if I can post it too. mchotin@adobe.com.<br /><br />Matt<br /><br /><br />On 12/1/08 2:24 PM, "Terry Corbet" <member@adobeforums.com> wrote:<br /><br />A new message was posted by Terry Corbet in<br /><br />Developers --<br /> How to Test AIR 1.5<br /><br />Matt says that on his page he has an option to add an attachment, but that does not appear on mine, so here is Select All, Copy, Paste out of the PDF document:<br /><br />=========================================================================<br />AIR Modularization - One Point of View<br />Background/Preface<br />I have been seeking an answer to just one limited question from a myriad of questions that could fall under the heading of AIR Modularization. Now Alex Harui has replied with some suggestions and has asked for some input concerning a broader set of issues that need to be considered. My intention, in this document, is just to respond to Alex's suggestions within my original, limited scope. I do hope that others will address the broader issues, and I don't minimize them in any sense. But, at the end of the day, I am most comfortable in speaking to the matters that have arisen from my own attempts to develop a workable modularization scheme.<br />The Basic Architecture of the Application<br />When the application is launched the user sees a simple screen that is divided vertically between a left and a right side. The left side displays the functionality of the application in the form of a Menu Tree. The right side uses the TabNavigator control for providing the 'stack' of Functional Features. We previously developed most of the functional capabilities using the Java SWT toolkit, and had essentially the same layout and the same controls.<br />So, that is just to say, that we think this general presentation is clear and open-ended in ways that make it relatively easy to engineer an ever-growing set of Functional Features. Examples of Functional Features are a JukeBox, a Shared White Board, a Content Management System, a Sudoku Game and 3D Books with interactive content. Those are what we consider 'modules'. They are virtually independent sub-applications that might otherwise just be run as fully-separate applications in separate invocations in their own Operating System windows. Of course, we don't want to offer them as separate applications running in separate windows; we want to coordinate things through a common infrastructure, and common look-and-feel.<br />The degree of independence of these types of modules is such that it is usually possible for the engineer to go off and perform most of the development and test as stand-alone code in order to maximize test turn-arounds. Unit testing and even some integration testing can take place without having to bring the whole main application up and down all the time. I think there is nothing very unique about our approach, so I am certain that many other developers work in a similar environment. [That is not to imply that there are not other approaches that may have rather different characteristics and requirements.]<br />AIRness<br />So, as described to this point, we can achieve most of what we want to achieve just with the Flex api, and, indeed, that is basically how we prototype new Functional Features. But there are compelling capabilities that are only available by moving up to the AIR api.<br />With more and more folks having wide screens or dual monitors, it is natural to want to break out of the constraints of rectangular Panels obscuring each other in a stack.<br />Now you might argue that just using AIR for more interesting windows is not a very deep investment in all that AIR has to offer, and that won't hurt my feelings. Of course we also take advantage of many other AIR-only capabilities, but admittedly the driving force is more interesting visual experiences, and stating that may help you understand why there are many other considerations in the topic of AIR Modularization, on which we do not concentrate. Again, that is not to indicate that we are unappreciative of the 'larger issues', but it is to emphasize what we believe, which is that the functional capability we are seeking ought to be made available immediately rather than waiting until 'AIR matures' or 'the whole picture can be understood'.<br />Provisioning and Version Management<br />Rather than answering questions about whether our application runs entirely or primarily 'off-line' we think it is more helpful to describe our requirement for network access in terms of the way the software gets to the desktop. Whether a new Functional Feature ends up being designed and built in such a way that the user can take full advantage of it on-line or off-line is a continuously-changing thing. If today, an inventory of our sub-applications happened to show that 80% of them could be used off-line, the on-line requirement for the remaining 20% would still be there. In short, at least for our business model, we would never be interested in shipping entirely off-line applications, so network traffic will always have to be well managed.<br />Given that, it seems to be more helpful to look at network activity in the context of getting the Functional Features to the desktop from a server. In other words, even though we are devoted to AIRness, from the standpoint of software downloading, we look at lot more like what I think you expect for Flex.<br />Yes, the user should normally start-up our application from his desktop, and he ought to be able to succeed in doing that even when he has no Internet access. He ought always to be able to use the Functional Features that can be used off-line. That said, if the user wants the 'latest and greatest' we expect him to start up with an Internet connection. So, our startup sequence looks like this:<br />A.<br />Read a VersionManifest from the Application Directory.<br />B.<br />On a module-by-module basis compare the Version in the Version Manifest with the Currently Installed Version List that is stored in the Application Storage Directory. If the VersionManifest says there is newer code available, download it.<br />So, as you can tell by reading-between-the-lines our process for 'pushing out an update' does not involve pushing out the new code. We just push the new VersionManifest, the code will be fetched later. That gives us lots of flexibility in terms of different configurations of our application at each customer site. While a test/release cycle will<br />likely update many 'modules', not all users may need, or even have access to all 'modules'. Moreover, if all we need to update is a small amount of code in only one Functional Feature, we can easily do that without holding up the whole release cycle for some sort of magic - integrated everything. Our modularization allows more responsiveness to the customer and to the competition.<br />So, are we concerned about bandwidth? Yes we are. It's not that we are looking to save a couple of megabytes every time any user runs anything, it's that we are looking to save a couple of megabytes every test/release cycle. And that is probably the main point of all of this. Whether it is because we are dumb, or because we are clever, the frequency of test/release cycles is NOT anything like 'once in a while', it is more like 'every two weeks' for 'production'. For rapid prototyping, and maybe premature bug-fixing, let's face it, our needs are often something like 'every night'! [Not to mention the fact that it is important to have geographically-disbursed development centers - if you are larger and more successful than we are - and so saving a couple of megabytes of data traffic to 'refresh' a remote development/test location is something that might easily occur several times an hour.]<br />Please may we use Dynamically-Linked, Cached Frameworks<br />For now, that's all we are asking. You already have engines - I am not sure whether all the logic is in the Flash Player, or whether the AIR runtime just shares some source code from the Player build stream in its own stream, but wherever it lives, it already knows how to recognize when a swf file needs to be linked to a .swz file. In the Flex case, the engine knows where to look for the necessary .swz file, and so should it quite as easily know where to look in the AIR case. It is, as far as I can tell, just a ma<br /><br />________________________________<br />View/reply at How to Test AIR 1.5 <a href=http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.59b6ed86/25><br />Replies by email are OK.<br />Use the unsubscribe <a href=http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?280@@.59b6ed86!folder=.3c060fa3> form to cancel your email subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 03, 2008 Dec 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempting to attach the PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2008 Dec 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempting to say Thank You.

If anyone can follow this crazy thread, the content of the PDF was an offer to provide material for Alex to consider in working towards some future 'best practice' on AIR modularization, about which I claim no expertise. As to the limited use case of loading dynamically-complied .swf files into an AIR application and expecting them to automagically link up with the correct framework .swz file, I hope someone can work on fixing the problem in the 'short run', whatever you see as the correct 'long term' solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2008 Dec 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<div class=Section1><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>I added a workaround to <a<br />href="https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-18250">https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-18250</a><br />that should fix the problem you are seeing. The workaround includes two patched<br />framework source files. Please let me know if this solves the problem you are<br />seeing.<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><div style='border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><b><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span></b><span<br />style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Terry Corbet<br />[mailto:member@adobeforums.com] <br><br /><b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, December 03, 2008 12:14 PM<br><br /><b>To:</b> flexsdk-dev@adobeforums.com<br><br /><b>Subject:</b> Re: How to Test AIR 1.5<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'>A new message was posted by<br />Terry Corbet in <br><br /><br><br /><b>Developers</b> --<br><br />  How to Test AIR 1.5<br><br /><br><br />Attempting to say Thank You. <br><br /><br><br />If anyone can follow this crazy thread, the content of the PDF was an offer to<br />provide material for Alex to consider in working towards some future 'best<br />practice' on AIR modularization, about which I claim no expertise. As to the<br />limited use case of loading dynamically-complied .swf files into an AIR<br />application and expecting them to automagically link up with the correct<br />framework .swz file, I hope someone can work on fixing the problem in the<br />'short run', whatever you see as the correct 'long term' solution. <o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><div class=MsoNormal><br /><br /><hr size=2 width=200 style='width:150.0pt' align=left><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'>View/reply at <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.59b6ed86/31">How to Test AIR 1.5</a><br><br />Replies by email are OK.<br><br />Use the <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?280@@.59b6ed86!folder=.3c060fa3">unsubscribe</a><br />form to cancel your email subscription.<o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /></div>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darell,

I added a comment to the bug entry, SDK-18250, in which I noted the excellent, rapid fix which works perfectly.

Here, just to close the loop on the broader issue of which that bug was a symptom, can you or Matt, or whomever, clarify what was done. It is described as a workaround/patch. Not being well-acquainted with all your terminology and processes, I am not clear whether this change will be reflected in the code base -- whether it is viewed as a fix that is needed to support correct loading of dynamic .swf files in an AIR environment.

I just browsed SVN for the 3.2.0 branch and don't see the code there -- does that answer my question, or am I not looking in the right place at the right time? If it is what I hope it is, not just something that I can use, I believe that there is an opportunity for an update to some documentation/tutorial/white-paper or whatever, to clarify this important feature.

Thanks for the good work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<div class=Section1><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>The files I attached to SDK-18250 contain the fixes for loading RSLs<br />from dynamic swf files on AIR. I called them patched because they contain code<br />modified from the 3.2.0 SDK that you are using. I called using the patched<br />files a workaround because you don&#8217;t need to change the SDK you are using<br />in order to get the benefit of the fix.<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>The capability to load RSLs on AIR was broken in SDK 3.2.0 by a change<br />to allow loading RSLs relative to the swf being load, not the top level swf. The<br />breakage was not intentional.  The files will be put under source control when<br />the bug is &#8220;fixed&#8221; but have not been put there yet.  I added<br />the files to the bug early so you could verify that your problem was solved.<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><div style='border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><b><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span></b><span<br />style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Terry Corbet<br />[mailto:member@adobeforums.com] <br><br /><b>Sent:</b> Friday, December 05, 2008 12:40 PM<br><br /><b>To:</b> flexsdk-dev@adobeforums.com<br><br /><b>Subject:</b> Re: How to Test AIR 1.5<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'>A new message was posted by<br />Terry Corbet in <br><br /><br><br /><b>Developers</b> --<br><br />  How to Test AIR 1.5<br><br /><br><br />Darell, <br><br /><br><br />I added a comment to the bug entry, SDK-18250, in which I noted the excellent,<br />rapid fix which works perfectly. <br><br /><br><br />Here, just to close the loop on the broader issue of which that bug was a<br />symptom, can you or Matt, or whomever, clarify what was done. It is described<br />as a workaround/patch. Not being well-acquainted with all your terminology and<br />processes, I am not clear whether this change will be reflected in the code<br />base -- whether it is viewed as a fix that is needed to support correct loading<br />of dynamic .swf files in an AIR environment. <br><br /><br><br />I just browsed SVN for the 3.2.0 branch and don't see the code there -- does<br />that answer my question, or am I not looking in the right place at the right<br />time? If it is what I hope it is, not just something that I can use, I believe<br />that there is an opportunity for an update to some<br />documentation/tutorial/white-paper or whatever, to clarify this important<br />feature. <br><br /><br><br />Thanks for the good work. <o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><div class=MsoNormal><br /><br /><hr size=2 width=200 style='width:150.0pt' align=left><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'>View/reply at <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.59b6ed86/33">How to Test AIR 1.5</a><br><br />Replies by email are OK.<br><br />Use the <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?280@@.59b6ed86!folder=.3c060fa3">unsubscribe</a><br />form to cancel your email subscription.<o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /></div>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
<div class=Section1><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>The workaround/patch Darrell created is called a &#8220;monkey-patch&#8221;<br />because it modifies Adobe source code that is usually pre-compiled into a<br />SWC/library.  Monkey-patching is not officially supported by Adobe.   A<br />true workaround involves modifying your source code in some way.  In<br />general, we try to avoid recommending monkey-patches as  solutions to<br />bugs.  Sometimes, as it is in this case, it is unavoidable.  If you<br />request support from Adobe, you should disclose the use of any monkey-patches,<br />especially if the problem could be related to such changes.<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>The source code Darrell changed will be code reviewed by another<br />engineer and checked into one of the current &#8220;working&#8221; branches, in<br />this case, the 3.x branch.  One checked in, Darrell will change the status<br />to Fixed.  If you &#8220;watch&#8221; the SDK-18250 bug, you should<br />receive notification that change and can then find the changed files in the<br />source code repository.  Of course, if the change fails further testing,<br />the bug status will change again and this process will repeat.<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>If we don&#8217;t have a way to verify the problem is fixed, as<br />we didn&#8217;t in this situation, we may post files in the bug so that the<br />customer can verify the fix.  By using  those files in your<br />application, you are using a monkey-patch.<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>-Alex<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><div style='border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><b><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span></b><span<br />style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Darrell Loverin<br />[mailto:member@adobeforums.com] <br><br /><b>Sent:</b> Friday, December 05, 2008 10:40 AM<br><br /><b>To:</b> flexsdk-dev@adobeforums.com<br><br /><b>Subject:</b> RE: How to Test AIR 1.5<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'>A new message was posted by<br />Darrell Loverin in <br><br /><br><br /><b>Developers</b> --<br><br />  How to Test AIR 1.5<o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span<br />style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'>The<br />files I attached to SDK-18250 contain the fixes for loading RSLs from dynamic<br />swf files on AIR. I called them patched because they contain code modified from<br />the 3.2.0 SDK that you are using. I called using the patched files a workaround<br />because you don&#8217;t need to change the SDK you are using in order to get<br />the benefit of the fix.</span><o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span<br />style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'> </span><o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span<br />style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'>The<br />capability to load RSLs on AIR was broken in SDK 3.2.0 by a change to allow<br />loading RSLs relative to the swf being load, not the top level swf. The<br />breakage was not intentional.  The files will be put under source control<br />when the bug is &#8220;fixed&#8221; but have not been put there yet.  I<br />added the files to the bug early so you could verify that your problem was<br />solved.</span><o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span<br />style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'> </span><o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><b><span<br />style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span></b><span<br />style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Terry Corbet<br />[mailto:member@adobeforums.com] <br><br /><b>Sent:</b> Friday, December 05, 2008 12:40 PM<br><br /><b>To:</b> flexsdk-dev@adobeforums.com<br><br /><b>Subject:</b> Re: How to Test AIR 1.5</span><o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'> <o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='mso-margin-top-alt:auto;margin-bottom:12.0pt'>A new<br />message was posted by Terry Corbet in <br><br /><br><br /><b>Developers</b> --<br><br />  How to Test AIR 1.5<br><br /><br><br />Darell, <br><br /><br><br />I added a comment to the bug entry, SDK-18250, in which I noted the excellent,<br />rapid fix which works perfectly. <br><br /><br><br />Here, just to close the loop on the broader issue of which that bug was a<br />symptom, can you or Matt, or whomever, clarify what was done. It is described<br />as a workaround/patch. Not being well-acquainted with all your terminology and<br />processes, I am not clear whether this change will be reflected in the code<br />base -- whether it is viewed as a fix that is needed to support correct loading<br />of dynamic .swf files in an AIR environment. <br><br /><br><br />I just browsed SVN for the 3.2.0 branch and don't see the code there -- does<br />that answer my question, or am I not looking in the right place at the right<br />time? If it is what I hope it is, not just something that I can use, I believe<br />that there is an opportunity for an update to some<br />documentation/tutorial/white-paper or whatever, to clarify this important<br />feature. <br><br /><br><br />Thanks for the good work. <o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><div class=MsoNormal><br /><br /><hr size=2 width=200 style='width:150.0pt' align=left><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='mso-margin-top-alt:auto;margin-bottom:12.0pt'>View/reply<br />at <a href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.59b6ed86/33">How to Test AIR<br />1.5</a><br><br />Replies by email are OK.<br><br />Use the <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?280@@.59b6ed86!folder=.3c060fa3">unsubscribe</a><br />form to cancel your email subscription.<o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'><o:p> </o:p></p><br /><br /><div class=MsoNormal><br /><br /><hr size=2 width=200 style='width:150.0pt' align=left><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'>View/reply at <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.59b6ed86/34">How to Test AIR 1.5</a><br><br />Replies by email are OK.<br><br />Use the <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?280@@.59b6ed86!folder=.3c060fa3">unsubscribe</a><br />form to cancel your email subscription.<o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /></div>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines