• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A strong "last sttraw" - Heroic open

Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a file open, you can open another "corrupted" file by using Heroic open (ESC o H). I have discovered a very very useful function of this command: open a file which is to high a level for the current FM.

I currently have severe problems with FM-16.0.0.754: as soon as the file explorer becomes involved, FM quits without further notice (no message, no dump, no sound, no grunt…). See bug FRMAKER-9277.

Hence I could not save my work done in FM-16 to the lower level to continue with FM-15.

But then...

I opened the FM-16 file in my text editor and changed the <MakerFile 16.0> at the very beginning of the file to <MakerFile 15.0>. Of course this violates the checksum - hence the file is considered corrupted.

But alas; it can be opened in FM-15 with Heroic Open!

Good save the Queen! - or better: the programmer who had programmed this feature!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Klaus,
Thanks for the report. Heroic Open hasn't been discussed in a while, and I'm glad to hear the feature is evidently being maintained.

It's not exactly well documented, so I expected there are cases where it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After a number of tests with various versions of FM creating files and trying to open them heroically in a lower version of FM: Heroic open is the last straw! But it may break also:

In the following table FMxx→yy means: created by FM xx, first bytes modfied to yy.

Current FM

Opening heroically

Result, message

SimpleFM16→15.fm

Correctly opened

SimpleFM16→14.fm

There was a problem reading this file. Please check your file system, disk, and network.

SimpleFM16→13.fm

There was a problem reading this file. Please check your file system, disk, and network.

SimpleFM15→14.fm

FM crashes after a while during open.

SimpleFM16→15.fm

Although …\Simple FM16—15.fm appears to be a FrameMaker document, it can’t be opened with this release of the product.

SimpleFM16→14.fm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines