• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe FrameMaker 13.0.1.385: Delete reference frame

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe FrameMaker 13.0.1.385. I want to delete a reference frame (graphic frame) from a reference page.

When I add a graphics frame on a reference page, I am prompted to name the frame. When I try to name it, an alert appears: "Graphic frame named [XXXX] already exists."

How do I either:

• Delete the existing reference frame name?
  • Apply an existing reference frame name to a newly created graphics frame?

Where are reference frame names stored in FrameMaker?

Cordially,

Michael Carlisle

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Hi Michael:

It is my secret belief that those of us who are successful in the field have a touch (or more) of OCD. 😉

I realize you are good to go, but I just tested deleting a graphic frame (not in use), and then adding a new one with the same name with no issues. In your doc, is there a paragraph calling in that frame? If not, you could trying saving as .mif, closing, reopening and then resaving as .fm and trying again.  

Or you could just enjoy the beginning of the weekend. 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphic frame names have to be unique within a document. You either have to choose a different name for your new frame, or redefine the properties of the existing frame (or delete it before adding the new one). As far as I know, there is not a list that is exposed to the FrameMaker interface. However, if you go to the Advanced tab of the Paragraph Designer, you can see a list of them under Frame Above Pgf and Frame Below Pgf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frameexpert,

Thank you for your response and for the information. 

Cordially,

Michael Carlisle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir Michael Carlisle,

Was troubleshooting a frame issue.

And came across your post!

And it totally helped!

Frameexpert and the other fine folks here have Helped me in the past!

Was only after my problem was solved that I saw the user name. Lo, and behold: Michael Carlisle!

Later!

Everyone, Stay Well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Michael:

One more thing, you can see the names of the graphic frames that located on the reference page on the status bar (as well as in Para Designer > Advanced). That will help you figure out what names the various frames are assigned. What's not evident to anyone is that the name is actually a button. If you click the name, you can change it to something else, fix a typo, etc. 

~Barb

x_example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And we almost have to add: pay little attention to the text above the Reference Frames.

They are just  hand-type Frame graphics text strings, manually entered separately from the name typed when a new RefFrame is created. Only careful stewardship keeps the two matched. In particular, the visible text is not automatically revised if a Frame is re-named.

These strings also cannot take Paragraph tags, but appear to accept Character tags. They can be sources of hard-to-find phantom font usage, aggravated by being off Body pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder,

Thank you for your response and the waaaay cool animated demo!

I was already familiar with the various ways to name and see the names of graphic frames in a reference page that you, frameexpert, and Bob Niland shared. Thank you, Everyone!

What prompted my question was that I had a graphics frame in which an image and the frame seemed to be permanently "grouped" (even though they weren't grouped). That is, I could not select the image inside the graphics frame. I wanted to merely replace the image, but had to delete the entire graphics frame and image.

I created a new graphics frame, which I wanted to identify with the same name as the frame that I had to delete. I then discovered that I was unable to i.d. the new graphics frame with the name that I wanted to keep. I had to create a new frame name (which I did by simply using the same name but with "2" appended to it).

I know that the existence of beaucoup, unused, obsolete names for referenced graphic frames is not a "big deal."

. . . but I've a touch OCD and like to keep a "clean house," so to speak. Being unable to trim the list of graphic frame names bunches my undies.

My problem.

Again, thank you for your much appreciated responses, information, and support, All!

Cordially,

Michael Carlisle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael:

It is my secret belief that those of us who are successful in the field have a touch (or more) of OCD. 😉

I realize you are good to go, but I just tested deleting a graphic frame (not in use), and then adding a new one with the same name with no issues. In your doc, is there a paragraph calling in that frame? If not, you could trying saving as .mif, closing, reopening and then resaving as .fm and trying again.  

Or you could just enjoy the beginning of the weekend. 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It is my secret belief  . . ."

Your secret is safe with me, BarbBinder.

. . . But (pssssst!) . . . FYI and strictly entre nous, you're on the World Wide Web.

Just sayin'.

Well, I tried duplicating your test, which indeed works!

However, as you also specified, the frame name that I could not apply to new graphic frames is referenced multiple times in my document. Thank you for providing a reason why I could not reuse the frame name.

Cordially,

Michael Carlisle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad you have an answer. Happy weekend to you, Michael.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you run the code below from an ExtendScript Toolkit window, it will write the reference frame names in the active document to the JavasScript Console.

#target framemaker

var doc, graphic, refFrames;

doc = app.ActiveDoc;
refFrames = [];
graphic = doc.FirstGraphicInDoc;
while (graphic.ObjectValid () === 1) {
    if (graphic.constructor.name === "UnanchoredFrame") {
        if (graphic.Name !== "") {
            refFrames.push (graphic.Name);
        }
    }
    graphic = graphic.NextGraphicInDoc;
}

$.writeln (refFrames.sort ().join ("\r"));

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines