Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe FrameMaker 2019 S1000D Turkish Publish

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Our company provides technical writing services. For this, we used Adobe FrameMaker 9, and recently we upgraded to Adobe FrameMaker 2019. As a requirement of one of our projects, we have to use S1000D. For this, we plan to use the S1000D feature provided in FrameMaker 2019. However, we are not sure that Adobe FrameMaker 2019 support Turkish characters for S1000D tags' values and attribute values (both for authoring and publishing). Unfortunately, there is not any research regarding this issue on the internet.
If I am not mistaken, Adobe FrameMaker supports Turkish characters. However, I am not sure about S1000D attribute values.

I appreciate your help.

TOPICS
PDF output , Publishing , Structured , Technical Communication Suite , XML author

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can use the Turkish alphabet with FrameMaker's S1000D applications. The S1000D XML is encoded in UTF-8 which provides full support for Turkish characters in element content and attribute values of the relevant types. 

I did try this just to be certain and it worked perfectly.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, I want to thank you, Ian, for your quick response. It is good to hear that we can change the values to Turkish. Otherwise, we had to look for another S1000D supported solution.
We also tried to check to see if we can change some of the values of attributes in "procedural_401.edd.fm" file available in Adobe FrameMaker 2019 directory (....\S1000D\procedural\procedural_401.edd.fm). However, when we opened a new procedural file from the S1000D menu in FrameMaker, we can't see the changes we made before. So, it would save us a lot of work and time if you guide us where and how we should change the values of any attribute in any Data Module type (for instance, procedural DM) provided by FrameMaker.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Sanam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if we are talking about different things here? There should be no reason to edit the EDD unless your original question was to change the names of XML elements and attributes. I read your question to mean that the text content of elements and some attribute values would be in Turkish.

If you do need to edit the EDD in any way you do need to import your changes into the related FM structured template file. The EDD does not play an active role in the XML read and write process.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I couldn't explain what we want.
What we want to change is the value of the attributes, not the tags. Perhaps, we were looking for it in the wrong place.
What we want to accomplish is, for instance, change the value of sk01 (skillLevelCode) from "Basic" to "Temel" and also see this change in FrameMaker.

According to your answer, we were modifying the wrong files. I will appreciate it if you guide us in this regard.

Sanam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sanam,

There are two ways to do this.

1. Make FrameMaker display the required text when a specific attribute value is selected. This keeps the XML import/export as simple as possible. The only change is to the display of the text. (Minimal effort)
    or:
  2. Use read/write rules or XSLT to change the attibute values available. It would also be possible to limit the available option to only those that are useful rather than the current 99 choices. (More effort)

Let me know how you want to proceed.

Also...

It would also be possible to control the available choices using ExtendScript (too much effort) - this is done for some attributes in the S1000D Options dialog where the required attribute value definitions are read from the active BREX file. It was my intention that this would be extended to all configurable attributes, but it was never to be. 

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ian.
To be sure that we both are on the same page, please let me explain our goal clearer. For this purpose, I added a screenshot from the published version of the Bike sample available in Adobe FrameMaker directory. In the displayed [Required Person] table, we want to change both the headers of the table and cell values in Turkish. Although it would be nice to see the Turkish version of attributes values in the authoring part, our main priority is showing the Turkish values in the published document.
According to your response, we believe that for our issue, the second choice (Using of read/write rules or XSLT ) serves us better. And if I am not mistaken, if we proceed with the second choice, we don't have to use ExtentScript.
I appreciate your response.

Sanam

SkillLevel.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want the values for the S1000D standard attributes ( e.g. skill level code, etc) to be in Turkish, Mekon have an option in the configuration file to select language. This  allows you to specify whatever term you want for that code. At the moment we support German, Portuguese, Dutch and English but Turkish can be added at a cost.
The Standard itself is written and maintained in English which means descriptions and information about the elements and attributes are all in English. It is possible to translate these to Turkish but there are risks in maintaining the updates and ensuring one still meets the specification standard. This could be done using FrameMaker Read/write rules but is not something we would recommend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines