• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Intel processor requirement unclear?

Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working to get FrameMaker (Win11) and RoboHelp (MacOS version) to run on an ARM-based processor. (FrameMaker works, except for PDF workflows, with some system hacks covered elsewhere in this forum. RoboHelp for MacOS churns at the initialization screen).

Adobe has communicated on this forum that these products are not supported on ARM-based processors. But I've been a bit mystified trying interpret this from the product system requirements. For FrameMaker, Adobe says (https://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/help/fm_system_requirements.html😞

• Core i5 or faster processor

RoboHelp says (https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/using/rh_system_requirements.html😞

• Intel Core i5 or faster processor (recommended)

I think there's a discrepancy between what Adobe means and what they say (certainly ARM processors are faster than Intel Core i5s). Should Adobe consider specifying the Intel requirement as "Intel processor, Core i5 or faster recommended"?

-Alan Houser

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Having been completely satisfied with AMD CPUs for the last two+ decades, I don't even know how to read that Core i5 spec.

What is Adobe trying to say?
Need ≥2 GHz?
Need ≥4 cores?
Also, the max screen supported might need to include a min screen supported, unless the MS requirement of 800×600 for Win10 is thought to cover it.

And questions about ARM support get even murkier. Windows 10+, being on or emulating x86-64, should be invisible to an FM and/or RH version expecting Win-x86, and not need a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having been completely satisfied with AMD CPUs for the last two+ decades, I don't even know how to read that Core i5 spec.

What is Adobe trying to say?
Need ≥2 GHz?
Need ≥4 cores?
Also, the max screen supported might need to include a min screen supported, unless the MS requirement of 800×600 for Win10 is thought to cover it.

And questions about ARM support get even murkier. Windows 10+, being on or emulating x86-64, should be invisible to an FM and/or RH version expecting Win-x86, and not need any mods for ARM.

When ARM gets deployed, it needs to be specific about both the hardware platform and the OS. otherwise people may presume anyone's ARM implementation, running various operating systems (MacOS, Android, Linux, Windows).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, @Bob_Niland! I hadn't even considered AMD processors.

I marked your answer as "Correct" to give you some Community Expert juice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines