• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe PDF Printer lost after uninstalling FM2017

Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many moons ago, we used FM2017. Since then we've upgraded to FM2019, FM2020 and recently to FM2022. We never unstalled previous versions, just in case we needed to go back to a FM file created in one of those previous versions.

One of our writers decided to free up some space and uninstalled FM2017 from their PC. Suddenly, their Adobe PDF printer has gone missing, preventing them from using the Save as PDF or Publish options in FM2019, FM2020 or FM2022 - they are presented with the error message FrameMaker could not find Adobe PDF printer instance, which must be installed to execute Save as PDF command.

We've never used Adobe Acrobat Pro, so I know it's not related to that. Reinstalling FM2017 didn't reinstall the PDF Printer either. 

Any suggesions on how we can fix this so this particular writer can print/save to PDF again?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

A quick update. I have emailed Adobe Support (as suggsted by @Barb Binder) and had remote assistance from Anand at Adobe. He installed the latest Distiller Libraries and the Adobe PDF printer is back and working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quintin,

Here is a thread which discusses the same issue.

Does this help?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker-discussions/framemaker-2020-can-t-find-pdf-printer-instanc...

Bestregards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Thanks for that link to an existing forum discussion. Unfortunately, none of those fixed the problem. I did see another post by another user on the 11th with a similar issue (none of the solutions provided in that post worked for us). It looks like this might be a common issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstall Fm 2017, and you should see it reappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Reinstalling FM2017 was the first things I did. Unfortunately, that did not reinstall the Adobe PDF printer. After following the instructions in the link Winfried listed, the Adobe PDF driver is listed under Printers again, however, FrameMaker is still not recognising it, still giving us the original error. I've also noticed that Distiller (which is included in the FM 2017 install) didn't reinstall either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So the Adobe PDF printer is back again, but you cannot Save as PDF in FrameMaker 2019 and later?

Can you print to a PostScript file and distill this to a PDF?

If the connection from FrameMaker to the Adobe PDF printer is lost, I would reinstall FrameMaker 2019 (or the later versions) and see what happens.

If this does not help, contact the Adobe support via tcssup@adobe.com.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without Distiller (it didn't reinstall with FM 2017) or Adobe Acrobat Pro, how would we distill the PostScript file to PDF? (Sorry for the dumb question - we don't normally print to PostScript first.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After uninstalling all versions of FrameMaker and Adobe Reader (Free), restarting the PC, then reinstalling in the following order:

• Adobe Reader (Free)
  • FM2017
  • FM2019
  • FM2020
  • FM2022

there is still no Adobe PDF printer installed. Neither has Distiller been installed along with FM2017.

When trying to Save as PDF for any version of FM, we get the following errors:

"Couldn't read SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\AcroDist.exe"

"Couldn't read AcroDist\shell\open\command"

When using the Publish option, the original "FrameMaker could not find Adobe PDF printer instance, which must be installed to execute Save as PDF comnmand."

The only working option is not to use either option. Instead, use the Print option and use Microsoft Print to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You are correct. Without Acrobat you do not have the Distiller.

I would definitely describe your issue to the Adobe FrameMaker support tcssup@adobe.com. Send them also the URL of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quintin,

in the past the FM installer came with the "headless" distiller, that installed the Adobe PDF printer instance.

To control the installation of the headless distiller you had to use the custom installation of FrameMaker.

But you can install the Adobe PDF printer also manually.

First you have to check, if and where you have the needed "AdobePDF.inf" file on your computer.

If you have that file you install the Adobe PDF printer like it is described here: Adobe PDF printer is missing | Manually install PDF printer  (solution 2).

Best regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

Manually installing the PDF printer still didn't work. It shows up in the list of Printers in Windows, but any attempt to "print" to it failed from both FrameMaker and MS Word.

How would I go about doing a custom install of Framemaker? I've only ever used the normal installer (setup.exe) file. I know when installing FM2017, Distiller is a selectable component to install during the installation process. With each attemp to install FM2017, this option was selected.

Thanks,

Quintin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quintin,

do you get any error message when you try to print?

What port is assigned to the Adobe PDF printer?

Mine uses the port "Documents/*.pdf" (shown in tab "Ports" within the properties of the Adobe PDF printer).

More info here:  Solved: Adobe PDF Printer Error Windows 10 - Adobe Support Community - 10809460  

Btw what version of windows are you using?

Custom install: The last time I used it was with FrameMaker 2017 so maybe the newer versions do not give that custom install anymore.

But an Distiller installer is delivered with the FrameMaker installer, even with the latest 2022.

So I think there should be a way to install it.

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephan,

The error I'm getting is FrameMaker could not find Adobe PDF printer instance, which must be installed to execute Save as PDF command.

The port is showing as "documents/*pdf.". 

Windows 10 Pro. The user has full adminstrator rights on the PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quintin,

maybe I have an idea.

Go to Devices+Printers -> right-click on Adobe PDF, choose Printsettings (not Printer Properties) -> tab Adobe PDF settings.

There is a setting called (translated from german) "Use system fonts only, no document fonts".

If this setting is active (checked), then deactivate it. (FrameMaker can't use the Adobe PDF printer if this setting is active.)

And try again.

Please try also if the printing to file works, using "Print" -> choose "Adobe PDF printer" as the printer (at the bottom of the dialog), then check "print to file" and start print.

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you downloaded the trial of Acrobat DC to get the PDF driver installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

I did install a trial of Adobe Acrobat Pro, but as soon as the trial period ended, the Adobe PDF printer stopped working again.

Thanks,

Quintin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With as much time as it's costing you, have you considered wiping the machine and starting from scratch with fresh software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately, that is not an option for us.

Quintin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quintin:

Did you hear back from tcssup@adobe.com?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb,

Unfortunately I've not had a chance to contact them yet - I'm also in the middle of a major upgrade project for our LMS.

Thanks,

Quintin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update. I have emailed Adobe Support (as suggsted by @Barb Binder) and had remote assistance from Anand at Adobe. He installed the latest Distiller Libraries and the Adobe PDF printer is back and working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a relief, Quintin. 😊 Thanks for letting us know.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anand also explained why, when you use the Publish option, it creates a subfolder within your selected folder. The folder your select is the "project" folder, with a separate folder for each output type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines