• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After installing Update 2 for FrameMaker 2017 keeps crashing... why?

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I increased substantially the amount of virtual memory on my machine, and that reduced the frequency of crashes, but FM 2017 keeps crashing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try renaming your prefs file in your Roaming directory to something like this

C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\14-prev

Fm will recreate the 14 directory, and if the problem was a corrupted prefs file, you're back in business.

You might also look for issues related to the Linguistics folder (different directory, but sounds like it might be the culprit as well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I renamed the preferences file to '14-old' which helped reducing the frequency of crashes, but unfortunately, FM 2017 keeps crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed you mentioned virtual memory, is this on a VM machine?

If so, the "size" of the VM ("hard disk"), the number of processors, and the amount of RAM allocated will all play a part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to the VM on the hard disk. I increased it from 12 GB to 32 GB, which helped somehow. The maximum size I allocated is 64 GB.

I am running FM 2017 locally on a Lenovo M92P machine with Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, with 8 GB of RAM, running Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit). My understanding is that FM 2017 is a 32-bit program.

All of my files are on a local server through a local network (not on a cloud).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even 64Gb may be slim, depending on what else you're doing on the VM. How much free space do you have on your C drive?

Also,check this thread for another (rare?) possible corruption

FrameMaker 9 won't open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 224 GB of free space on the local C: drive, about half of the total.

All of my files reside on a local server, which has 207 GB of free space of a total of 2.5 TB.

Thanks for the reference. I’ll try that avenue.

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just making sure we're on the same page here...

If you have a virtual machine running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, then (according to some sources) Windows itself is taking up about 20Gb of that virtual disk, leaving you little room to install apps, files, and actually run Windows and Fm.

In case that's you're issue, here's a thread from vmware regarding virtual disk size

Is this a reasonable Windows 8.1 VM size? |VMware Communities

I keep my virtual disk at 75 Gb, and run almost nothing but TCS apps on it. I manage to keep about 20% free disk space. If you have trouble keeping more than 10% free disk space, you need to increase your virtual disk space.

With 224Gb free on your physical drive, you have some room to increase your VM allocation to give it room to breathe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am not running a Virtual Machine. I was referring to Virtual Memory (disk space used as RAM for paging, large documents in this case).

Yes, I am running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, on a Lenovo with Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM.

The local drive C: has 224 GB of free space (not counting the 32 GB allocated for Virtual Memory), and as I mentioned before, all my files reside on a local server which has 207 GB of free space, out of a total of 2.5 TB.

Thanks.

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have 8Gb of physical RAM, try turning off the virtual memory option. I've had trouble with it in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just added 8 GB more of RAM to my machine last Friday (for a total of 16 GB), and I did switch to “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives” instead of having a “Custom size” assigned.

I will try it this way for a week or so, then I can tell you if it did work or not.

Thank you,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yesterday, I was working with a set of files. I had 15 files opened, and I was checking pagination after doing “Update Files”. After just selecting a new file, while scrolling down the application crashed. After re-starting the application, it worked fine on that particular file, but then again, when switching to the next file and scrolling down, it crashed again. Because I had to check all files, had to re-start Framemaker about 10 times, because it crashed almost every single time (always with different files) but perfectly fine after re-starting.

No. of pages in files: 10, 4, 12, 32, 28, 18, 74, 52, 10, 22, 14, 2, 2, 2, 20.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Well, after several days of trying with more RAM (total of 16 GB), FrameMaker 2017 still crashes a few times a week. I never know when it is going to crash because I work with a bunch of different files or various sizes. Sometimes, it happens with very large files, but also happens with fairly small files (less than 20 pages).

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try running with less files open, and/or watching to see which files are causing the crash. My money is on a corrupted .fm file, or a corrupted graphic file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would probably lose your money... At this point, I believe is some issue related to the paging of the files while using FM 2017.

Let me explain further. I have some 45 sets of files (books), ranging from 17 to 36 files each, and ALL the files are different. However, FrameMaker has crashed many, many, many times within different books, with different files. It is almost never with the same files. The common characteristic is when having a book open with a good number of files, and then switching to another book that is also open. As soon as I start scrolling down on the latest selected file (saved or not) it gets stalled. At that moment, I know it will crash. After the crash I close everything, reboot the machine, and open everything again, the exact same way I had it before, and then it DOES NOT crash again with that same particular file.

Now, the interesting thing is, that I have worked for a long time with most of those files, and I DID NOT have any issues with them when running FM 11, and then FM 2015.

The problem is with FM 2017. I am using the exact same machine I was using with FM 2015, and DID NOT have these types of crashes.

We have not upgraded other people to FM 2017 because of the continuous crashes. I am seriously considering downgrade back to FM 2015. Our Translation Services Provider is having the same issues, and they handle only smaller books. My boss wants us to move on and start using another software application.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still think it has to do with your use of the Virtual Memory options. Are you using a traditional hard drive, or an SSD? Maybe the speed of your HD is the issue. Obviously, the SSD would improve access to the paging file.

I run Win on a a virtual machine, with an SSD, and am using only 1.5Gb for the virtual memory setting you've cranked up.

I do plenty to try and "wreck" Fm on a regular basis, including heavy referencing, multimedia, output to formats in the Publish pod.

I have no more than a crash or two per month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have read my previous emails, you would have seen that ALL OF MY FILES are on a server. I do not have any files locally. NONE!

The network we have is the fastest available. I checked that with our I.T. department.

I installed 8 GB of RAM for a total of 16 GB. I set back the virtual memory to be managed by the system. BUT... it still crashes. And the thing is NOTHING ELSE has changed, except for FM 2017 was installed as an upgrade. We DID NOT have these crashes with FM 2015.

Why are you trying to blame the computer or the hard drive, when we did not have these problems with FM 2015?

I believe it is a problem with FM 2017. And apparently, you guys have no clue about it.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for giving me an easy out here...this is a user to user forum, and I'm trying to help you figure out something that DOES NOT happen on my machine.

Having read each of your posts, including the vague references to VM, I've responded with the things that have resolved my problems in the past.

Best of luck with solving your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry!

It is very frustrating when dealing with this kind of issues, especially when crashes get in the way of my deadlines. Adobe has not been of much help.

Thank you for your time.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear about the issues you are facing with FM 2017 crash. I have sent you the Private message with the FM support details. Kindly reply with your contact details and we will connect with you to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Mayank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines