• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alert Hypertext Marker Gives Inconsistent PDF Results

Participant ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading another discussion about using FM's Alert hypertext marker to generate sticky-note comments in PDF output, I was thinking this would be a good addition to my group's toolset, to flow our editorial comments and questions back to authors and other stakeholders. When I tested it, though, I got unexpectedly inconsistent results.

For reference, we use unstructured FM2019 and Acrobat 2017 Pro (within TCS2019) to publish books (i.e., no dynamic/online formats required). I tried inserting an Alert marker in text in a few different files and created PDFs in a few different ways (i.e., print, save as, publish), and I got varying results:

• In one file, the marker turned into not one, but three PDF sticky notes, identical to each other but scattered around the marker location. I tried deleting and reinserting the marker, and tried outputting to PDF in all three ways, but got the same result each time.
  • In another file, I got just one sticky when I used save as and publish to generate a PDF, but no sticky at all when I printed to PDF. The sticky I did get wasn't sensibly close to the actual marker location.
  • Only in one file did I consistently get a single sticky in the PDF that was usefully near the FM marker location.

All three of the files I used were created from our standard book-chapter template; I can't think of any differences between the files that could account for the differing results. Any idea what I'm missing here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again, Dauphin:

I'm going to copy/paste your questions for context.   My answers are in italics:

• In one file, the marker turned into not one, but three PDF sticky notes, identical to each other but scattered around the marker location. I tried deleting and reinserting the marker, and tried outputting to PDF in all three ways, but got the same result each time.

In that other discussion, I found the the alert marker moved itself to a new location. I moved it back for my screen shot because the OP was on 2017, and then promptly forgot about it. I don't recall seeing that in any other version. Something is up with alert markers in 2019.

• In another file, I got just one sticky when I used save as and publish to generate a PDF, but no sticky at all when I printed to PDF. The sticky I did get wasn't sensibly close to the actual marker location.

This is expected behavior if you didn't click Generate Acrobat Data.

• Only in one file did I consistently get a single sticky in the PDF that was usefully near the FM marker location.

I would recommend logging this as a bug and then coming back to this thread and post the link. I'll follow it and add my vote.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to fixing my paste-ing problem, accessing the forums through Chrome finally allowed me to report this bug; I hadn't been able to access the tracker from IE11!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great news on both fronts!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines