• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attaching text to change bars

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi--I want to attach text to change bars to show when a change was made to my document; i.e. I want to add the text "17" next to the change bar to show the change was made in 2017. There are already change bars in the document with "14" next to them to show the change was made in 2014 edition (shown in image below).

Thanks! --Andy

change bar.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

I'm assuming it is text (and that would be the easiest to edit). So click (or double-click) your mouse on the 14 and just change it like any other text.

VMware Fusionss_005.pngVMware Fusionss_006.png

It could be an image, however, that was imported from another application. If you suspect that is the case, you can click on the 14 and choose Graphics > Object Properties. I just made that 14 in Photoshop, saved it as a .png. You can see that it is an imported graphic called 14.png in the Object Properties pod. In that case, you'll need to updat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't actually attach a number to a change bar so my guess is that the number is in an anchored frame (assuming it moves with text edits, or just in a text frame if it doesn't) with the position set to outside column. Can you show a screen shot with View > Text Symbols activated that shows the entire paragraph (or better yet several paragraphs) that appear next to the change bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb--Attached is a screenshot. Full disclosure--I work primarily in Word, and have learned FrameMaker piecemeal . Any insight/solutions are helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help...

I see two anchors in your screen shot. If you highlight one anchor or the other, does Fm highlight the frame around the 14?

Safariss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I highlight the bottom anchor, the "14" is highlighted, too (below):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! We have an answer!

The 14 is in a text frame, and that text frame is inside an anchored frame. I can certainly walk you through the many steps to recreate this from scratch, but the easiest/best way to do this is just to copy an existing anchor, paste it in a paragraph with a 2017 change, and then change the 14 to a 17.

Here's my tip though—be sure to just select the anchor. In your last screen shot you have both the pilcrow and the anchor. It can be hard to do with the mouse, so you can use Shift and the arrow keys on the keyboard. What I normally do is also add an em space in front of an anchor for this specific reason. (I'm on a new computer without Fm installed yet, so I'll be right back with supporting screen shots.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb--That works--thanks so much! (and an indirect thanks from my workplace )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. And you and your colleagues are welcome!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb ... just one more related question. I made a change, and copied the anchor at the end of the line. How do I select the text to change from "14" to "17"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm assuming it is text (and that would be the easiest to edit). So click (or double-click) your mouse on the 14 and just change it like any other text.

VMware Fusionss_005.pngVMware Fusionss_006.png

It could be an image, however, that was imported from another application. If you suspect that is the case, you can click on the 14 and choose Graphics > Object Properties. I just made that 14 in Photoshop, saved it as a .png. You can see that it is an imported graphic called 14.png in the Object Properties pod. In that case, you'll need to update a copy of the graphic.

VMware Fusionss_007.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm back.

This is a pilcrow: ¶ and it indicates the end of a paragraph. You want to select the anchor (upside down T) and not the pilcrow. You can click next to the anchor, hold the Shift key and tap a left or right arrow key on the keyboard to select it. Then Edit > Copy, move to a 2017 edit, click at the end of that paragraph and Edit > Paste.

VMware Fusionss_001.png

I learned this trick hundreds of years ago (or maybe it just feels that way). Before an anchor at the end of a paragraph, I add an em space by tapping Esc spacebar m. (Sequential keystrokes, not consecutive). This spaces my anchor away from the period which tucks itself inside the anchor space and makes the selection easier.

VMware Fusionss_002.png

But it's our secret. When you hide text symbols, no one can see it.

VMware Fusionss_003.png

P.S. You could also select the frame, but be sure to select the anchored frame and not the text frame inside or you will lose the anchored frame properties when you paste. Selecting the anchor itself is safer, IMHO.

VMware Fusionss_004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines