• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book Error: "Can't open file because the file is an MIF file"

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to update my book and save as PDFs.

When attempting to Update a book or "Save as PDF" I get the error messages below:

When Saving as PDF:

When Updating Book:

I get an error report, but also the windows prompt error, and FM randomly creates separate TOC/LOF/LOT files unstructured.

This just started happening, I have no idea what causes this.  I've tried updating Framemaker, restarting, and googling this issue, but no information is found. I am working with Adobe Framemaker 2015, version 13.0.5.547.

If anyone is familiar with this issue, help would be greatly appreciated as this prevents me from getting any work done.  Thank you!

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Or, just thought of #3 - Open it manually before updating the book or saving as PDF. I generally find it best practice to open all your files before you do those things anyway. Helps prevent "unusual" behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

I don't know anything about this error and have never seen it before. But here is what I would do:

1 - Try to open the file in a text editor to see if it actually is MIF, for who-knows-what-reason. If it is, save it back as binary *.fm.

2 - If that doesn't work, just delete it and recreate it. It's an automatically-generated file, so you should not lose anything by deleting it, except some basic LOT setup. I assume all the proper LOT styles would be in your template.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, just thought of #3 - Open it manually before updating the book or saving as PDF. I generally find it best practice to open all your files before you do those things anyway. Helps prevent "unusual" behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It turns out all I had to do was open each file and re-save them in the FM 2015 format they were already in, very strange.  Sometimes these glitches fix themselves when messing with the files.

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines