Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.book file does not open

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a problem with Frame Maker. I can open the files .fm, but I cannot open the file .book. So I cannot refresh the TOC and the LEP and I cannot create the PDF because I only have the section separetely, I do not have the book. In the corresponding the book is created but when I open it, I does not appear.

Could you help me with that?

Thank you all!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The book file may be corrupted. I'd try deleting the current book file and creating a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a new book file and I open it, it appears directly in the folder a .book.lck file and I cannot still open it. Do you know how to fix this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean when you say "When I create a new book file and I open it..." - you are creating it inside FM right? The lock file is to be expected if you've told FM to lock files in your Preferences - it's more used in places where multiple people may be wanting to edit the same docs as you at the same time; locking stops this from happening. But if you're a solo writer, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to have that turned on.
You've verified that you have enough rights to whatever location you're saving these files in, correct? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you creating the book file? For most of us, we open a file we know is in the book, then click File > New > Book. We then click Yes when Frame asks us if we want to add the file to the new book. Once that's done, we can save the book file with its new name and then add and rearrange FM files as needed.

I'm a little confused by your saying that you open the file, the .book.lck file appears and you "cannot still open it". The lock file only shows up when someone has the book file open and, as @Jeff_Coatsworth says, everyone also has their preferences set to lock the file when someone has it open. Sometimes FM doesn't delete the .lck file, though.

Try closing all your open FM files, then closing FM. If the .book.lck file is still present, delete it (and any other *.lck files) using Windows Explorer, then try opening the book file again using FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I follow this process nothing happens, the book is not created. It is like doing nothing. - We open a file we know is in the book, then click File > New > Book. We then click Yes when Frame asks us if we want to add the file to the new book. Once that's done, we can save the book file with its new name and then add and rearrange FM files as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, let's start with some basics - what exact point version of FM are you using?

Where are the doc files located? Do you have enough rights to that folder location?

Is there any source control involved?
Was this working fine before & now it doesn't? If so, what changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact point version of FM are you using? Version 16.0.4

Where are the doc files located? In the server of my company. I have never had an issue with the locations of the files. Yesterday, Frame Maker crashed and when I restarted the computer it was not working properly.

Do you have enough rights to that folder location? Yes, as I said in the previous question, I have never had an issue with this problem before.

Is there any source control involved? No.
Was this working fine before & now it doesn't? If so, what changed? Yes. Before it was working properly, I was able to open all the files and save them as a pdf and I was able to refresh the TOC and the LEP, now I cannot. Before on the left side of Frame Maker there was the tab group panel and now it is not, so I am not able to do the things I mentioned before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so that sounds like you need to uninstall & reinstall FM on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already dit it this morning and it is still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install it as an Administrator? Did you apply any patches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the IT department has installed it again. No patches applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did they install it with Admin rights? Are you able to run it as an Admin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put my company mail and password but they install it with the admin credentials and the password credentials.

I think I cannot runi t as an Admin, but it has been installed like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you (& your IT folks) need to talk to the FM folks directly - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#framemaker for your Adobe Support options. I'd recommend using the tcssup@adobe.com e-mail address as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that the problem is that I cannot create the book. This functionality is not working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You say:

Before on the left side of Frame Maker there was the tab group panel and now it is not, so I am not able to do the things I mentioned before.

Could it be that the book file is just hidden behind other files?

And another question:

What happens, when you just started FrameMaker and then (before you open any FM files) open the book file via the File menu?

You say that your files are on a network. Do you have your problem also when your files are on your local drive?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could it be that the book file is just hidden behind other files? How can I check that?

What happens, when you just started FrameMaker and then (before you open any FM files) open the book file via the File menu? Nothing happens. It is like doing nothing...

You say that your files are on a network. Do you have your problem also when your files are on your local drive? It happens the same. I open FM, I try to open the book but nothing happens...

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines