• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Border colors in FrameMaker tables

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several table styles.  When I change the color of the border row in a table of one style, FrameMaker makes it the border color of every table of every style in the document.  I don't want this to happen; some styles are supposed to have black borders and other styles are supposed to have white borders.  Does anyone know how I can fix this?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Just to confirm--you made a NEW rule style and didn't edit an existing one. Correct?

Can you upload the document without any text but with the two empty tables?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you create the different table styles?

Every FrameMaker table has a table tag such as "Format A" or "Border Blue". A FrameMaker document has a table catalog. Entries in the catalog include a table tag as well as various properties such as ruling and shading colors. When you create a new table, you select a table style (historically called format) from the catalog as a starting point for its style. If you make changes, you can apply the changes to that individual table, to all tables with that style, or to all tables. In particular:

1. To apply the changes to the individual table, click the Apply button in the lower right of the Table Designer.

2. To apply the changes to all tables of a particular style, click the Update Style button (the center button at the bottom of the Table Designer).

3. To apply the changes to all tables, select Global Update Options from the pull-down menu in the bottom left of the Table Designer.

From your description, I wonder if you have defined different table styles for the different formatting you want. To create a new format, simply type its name in the Style box at the top of the Table designer. The label of the center button will change from Update Style to Create Style.

Once you have defined styles in the table catalog for the different appearances you want, apply the appropriate style to each existing table. Select the style from the pull-down menu at the right of the Style box and then click Apply.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynne, Thanks for your reply.  I did everything that you suggested.  I changed the ruling color in a table of one style and clicked the Update Style button.  For some reason, FrameMaker applied the same ruling colot to a table of a different style.  I think I'll have to call FrameMaker Customer Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO you have just changed the colour in the setup of Custom Ruling and Shading > Edit Ruling Style …

To have different colours for different table styles, you need to set up, for example

1_pt_red based on 1_pt (which uses black)

and use this 1_pt_red ruling in the table style "xyz-framed-red".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi K., I tried your suggestion, but I am still getting the unintended changes in ruling color in different-style tables.  This may be some kind of bug.  Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm--you made a NEW rule style and didn't edit an existing one. Correct?

Can you upload the document without any text but with the two empty tables?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops!  What I did was edit an existing ruling style rather than create a new one.  I will create a new ruling style for each table and see if that fixes my problem.  If it doesn't, I will send the document without any text but with the two empty tables.  Either way, I will let you know my results.  Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created two new Ruling Styles, one called BlackMedium - 1.5 pt and the other called WhiteMedium - 1.5 pt.  I applied the former to all rows and columns in one table style, and I applied the latter to all rows and columns in the other table style.  Then I hit the Update Style button in each table.  It solved the problem.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines