• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brand new FrameMaker 2017 installation takes over 2 minutes to open or create a file

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed FrameMaker 2017. It will allow me to open or create a book file, but as soon as I try to open an existing FM file, or create a new one, it freezes.

In the case of an existing file, it reads the file enough to tell me there are unresolved cross-references in it, but freezes before it can display the file at all (white screen). I have to shut down the application manually, so I never get a log file. I found out (by accident) that it does actually open the file if I give it enough time: I timed it to 2 minutes 28 seconds.

I'm running FM on Windows 10, but my Documents folder setting is good in the registry (saw this as a solution on other forum posts).

Also, not sure if this is relevant, but it's also really annoying: I can't switch out of structured framemaker view. So, in the Preferences dialog, I switch to basic view and it tells me to shut down FM for the changes to take effect. I do that, but as soon as I look in the Preferences dialog again, the option has been switched back to structured framemaker. Even if I don't shut down FM and just close the dialog, the option is still "wrong" when I open the dialog the next time.

Grateful for any advice! I've been using FM for 20 years, last version used was 12.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First update your copy - just because it's brand-new, mint-in-box, doesn't mean it comes with all the latest patches. Next I would have a look at your rights - it sounds like FM can't set the structured/unstructured file it uses to store your settings as to which flavour you want. Did you install it as a local admin? Are you trying to run it as an admin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's a subscription installation and I downloaded it directly from the Adobe website and installed it the same day, so I would expect it to be up-to-date. Also, there weren't any indications that there was a patch, hotfix or update to download.

Yes, I installed it as a local admin and am running it as an admin, should I run it as a different user?

Will give that a try.

Sorry for taking so long to acknowledge your answer, was not at my computer all weekend. Thanks for taking the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what version exactly do you see when viewing Help > About FrameMaker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version: 14.0.4.511

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"... I downloaded it directly from the Adobe website and installed it the same day, so I would expect it to be up-to-date..." - NOPE! You get the version they froze for production, not the latest updated version. You must apply patches to achieve that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your prefs file may have some corruption.

See http://techcommtools.com/find-framemaker-preference-folder/ for instructions on resetting your preferences.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a look at this article before but it didn't seem to apply to me. Will have another look now.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, after having installed update 4 (which I was just made aware of), the problem with opening and creating files has been fixed.

However, I still can't switch from Structured FrameMaker to just FrameMaker (Preferences > General > Product Interface).

I've tried it without a document open and then with one open (in case the preference gets set specific to a particular object, although that's not what I would expect). The problem does not seem to be a corrupt Preferences file, as I renamed my "14" folder and restarted FrameMaker to try this out. In fact, I can't find a Preferences file in the FrameMaker folder under app_data. What's it called?

Any other ideas how I can fix this? I need to teach a class on Friday and not being able to work in the unstructured interface is really impeding my progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 14 directory in your Roaming dir is your prefs folder.

Other than a few extra menu items, there's no reason to switch to the unstruct interface.

Is it a FrameMaker class you're teaching on Friday?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I found the 14 folder and looked into some of the ini files, but there didn't seem to be a setting that corresponded to the preference.

it's a tech writing class I'm teaching but we're using framemaker for the exercise. I work with 12 in english in work and I'm teaching on university computers that have 14 in german, that's why I've bought it myself, to get to know it better and not look foolish in front of my students.

if I can manage to do all the things I want in the structured interface, then I don't care. I'm just used to working in the basic interface is all. and it worries me that my preference won't stick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Structured is a superset of the unstruct interface, so just point out the things to ignore and leave it at that.

Not sure why it won't let you switch...does your machine have admin restrictions that you are aware of?

Have you tried Run as Administrator? (right-click on Fm icon to temporarily start Fm in Admin mode)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, just tried that, it made no difference.

I'm the local administrator on this laptop, I installed it under my own (administrator) user and run it as such.

Thanks for the tips about just leaving out the irrelevant things. I think I thought the unstructured interface was going to be much more foreign. I guess I just have to live with not being able to switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro tip: Since structured is now the default setting, just say that's what you're going to show, but they're free to switch it themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll do that!

Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines