• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Broken TOC Links

Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally Framers will complain about TOC links being broken in the resulting PDF. This is actually by "design"; when there is a character property change in the paragraph, the link will not extend beyond the change. Here is a snippet from the FrameMaker 2019 help:

frameexpert_0-1639766935366.png

That is why you see this in your PDF (links are indicated by the rectangles):

frameexpert_1-1639767056960.png

My solution is simple: it is a script that simply duplicates the Hypertext marker in each paragraph where ever there is a character property change. This is how it will appear in the PDF:

frameexpert_2-1639767213749.png

Each rectangle is a separate link, but of course they all go to the same destination. If you are interested in a scripting solution like this, please contact me offlist. If I get enough interest, I may release it as an off-the-shelf solution. Thanks! rick at frameexpert dot com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of other hacks that are sometimes available, but they might not work for the example above.

For a recent project, I just put up with the scrappy TOC until the book content was stable, then converted the {short} TOC to a non-generated file, with manually-applied Xrefs.

A more generalized solution is long overdue, and if I were still in a production environment, a PO for the script would be forthcoming.

By the way, how does this legacy TOC artifact flow to HTML output, and if links there are similarly truncated, does the offered script also patch that workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, I haven't tested this with HTML output, but since it "fixes" the FrameMaker generated file, it should pass through to the HTML output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a very bad decision to have this "functionality." I'm trully amazed that they would think this is a good feature. Having lots of partially broken links in my PDF is not worth whatever they think they are gaining in terms of functionalty.

If they really think this is such an important feature, they could at least put in an option to opt out of this feature, and not have broken links. If they make this one change, I'm going to ask my company to pay for a new version, which I haven't done in years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: This was a very bad decision to have this "functionality."

My impression has always been that it was an attempt to avoid requiring separate markers for start and end of target region.
Saved a click.
Came at some largely hidden cost.
And it's been this way for perhaps 3 decades now, so odds of enhancement might not be high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now that we know it's a feature, not just a bug, people can complain about it and maybe they will change it. It's probably easier to change a feature than a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines