• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bullet characters in anchored text frames have wonky text encoding when exported to EPS

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm converting FrameMaker anchored-frame figures to SVG using the EPS-to-SVG conversion path described here:

How can I save anchored frames as SVG during XML export? 

However, I've run into an issue with the EPS exported by FrameMaker 2017.

In an anchored text frame, the user has inserted a bullet character using the Insert > Symbols > Bullet. In FrameMaker, the text string is "•text" with a leading bullet. This text string is written to the EPS file as follows:

0 To
1.0000 0.0000 0.0000 1.0000 168.7293 78.9848 0 Tp
TP
/_Helvetica-Bold 18.0000 Tf
0.0000 Tc
 0 Tr
  0.000 0.000 0.000 1.000 k
(\202\304\242text) Tx
TO
  0.000 0.000 0.000 1.000 K

The bullet character is represented by the "\202\304\242" octal byte sequence in the EPS. This corresponds to "0x82 0xC4 0xA2" in hex. I have not been able to map this back to any sensible encoded character. It renders as "random" junk characters in every EPS viewer or converter I've tried.
The Adobe FrameMaker Structure Application Developer's Guide says that EPSB, EPSD, and EPSI are valid export formats. However, none of those format strings are accepted; only "EPS" is. And I haven't found a way to control the text encoding used for text strings inside exported EPS files.

Has anyone figured out how to handle special characters properly in EPS export from FrameMaker?

Thanks in advance!

- Chris

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , Scripting , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

I was able to write a Perl script to fix these encodings:

https://github.com/chrispy-snps/fm-fix-eps-export-characters

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, in FM2019, saving as PDF, and converting to SVG in Illustrator (10.0.3), the bullet is an actual •, and not octal-encoded UTF-8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob! Are you saving just the frame contents as PDF, or the entire FrameMaker document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire document, but it was a one-page test file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was able to write a Perl script to fix these encodings:

https://github.com/chrispy-snps/fm-fix-eps-export-characters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines