• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I number pages one way within a document and another way in the footer?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have a problem: I have several individual short (less than 20 pages) docs each of which are numbered within a banner at the top of the doc:

Page x of y pages (using <$curpagenum> and <$lastpagenum>).

They are to be included in a book (with a few other longer chapters) that has continuous page numbering in the footer from the beginning of the book to the end, (as well as a TOC) .

It might kook like this:

Page 1 of 7, 2 of 7, 3 of 7 etc. but with page 234, 235, 236 etc in the footer. What ends up hapenning is the banners in the docs reflect the master book's page numbers instead.

This is a very large book, with hundreds of individual files totaling anywhere from 500 to 1500 pages.

Is there a way to create a book with this kind of double numbering scheme (as well as a generated TOC) without having to hard code it? I've tried turning the variables in the banner to text, but they get turned back to variables when I update the book, which results in the numbering getting screwed up. 

I'm working in FM 2019

Thanks,

Robert

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

I've been using small Anchored Frames (Outside Column) , containing Text Frames, with Â¶formats later set invisible, for other purposes.

re: …y in x of y pages…

If the final instance of your object can be cross-referenced, just create an Xref format of <$pagenum>, perhaps named PageNumOnly, and add " of  " and an Xref to that final instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where does the banner reside? (e.g. Body page or Master Page(s))

I can probably suggest one or more approaches, but the implementation would be highly dependent on the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

The banner is in the master page as not "live". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: not "live" is new to me

Anyway, Master Pages can pick up content unique to the current Body page, by use of RunningH/F system variables, which are user-editable, and several of which are set aside with that expectation. One of the things that can be picked up is Autonumbers.

Which leads to me to the next question, is there, or can there be, any Body content that is always on every page, but is unique to each page? If so, there are a number of ways to implement this, and here's one I tried.

Let's suppose that each of the short-run document pages leads off with a HeadingP, and for the purposes of example, let's assume that ¶HP doesn't normally have any numbering. It might even be defined to be TopOfPage.

1. Create a new Character Format, arbitrarily named Invisible, which is As-Is except for color, which can be any catalog color (inclouding a new one) that isn't used for any other purpose.
  2. In View » Color Views, move this color to Invisible for whatever Color View is used for final rendering.
  3. For ¶Heading1, in Paragraph Designer » Numbering, elect:
    ☑ Autonumber
    Format: <n+>
    Postion: End of Paragraph
    Character Format: Invisible
  4. In Master Page view, pick an RHF variable to use, perhaps
    Running H/F 13
    Edit it to: <$paranumonly[HeadingP]>
  5. In the MasterPage frame for the banner, insert:
    Page Running H/F 13 Where "Page " is typed by you, and the RHF part is inserted as that System Variable.

The AN will increment page-by-page, becoming a fake page number, and appearing in the banner. Using Color Views it will not also be visible in the HeadingPs at final render.

If that works for you, we can then hack how to automagically do the "…of 7" bit. Since this is FM, there are likely 42 ways to do it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean by "not live" is that it is not editable on the body pages.

I think this merits a more precise description...

The banner is a table that consists of  6 rows and 1 column. It is used in place of the header and because of that the program sees the margin as 2.1 in. instead of the usual 0.5 or 1.0.

I really like the way you think, but unfortunately there is nothing that is unique to each page. It appears that the method you described will not work on anything that comes from the master page. I eventried making the paragraph 2 pt and putting it at the top of each of the body text boxes in the master pages. I am only designing the template and have no control over content except to suggest that they do certain things or not.

I think that was a pretty good idea, can you think of any others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't mind pasting a small object (invisible in final render) on each page, anchored to any arbitrary text, I have another hack to suggest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're idea got my creative juices flowing...

First, I followed your instructions on creating the "Invisible" paragraph tag and the variable that uses it. Then I placed text boxes with another text flow [B] in the lower right corner of each page. I then connected the boxes in the order the pages go. Then I put the invisible paragraphs in the text flow and hit return until each had the appropriate page number.

Success!

Now we have to figure out the y in x of y pages without using the $lastpagenum variable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using small Anchored Frames (Outside Column) , containing Text Frames, with Â¶formats later set invisible, for other purposes.

re: …y in x of y pages…

If the final instance of your object can be cross-referenced, just create an Xref format of <$pagenum>, perhaps named PageNumOnly, and add " of  " and an Xref to that final instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is precisely what I did. Worked like a charm.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Could not have done it without you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will probably need a scripting solution for double-numbering like this. If you want to explore this, please contact me offlist and we can schedule a web meeting. Thanks. rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

A scripting solution was not what I was looking for, but thank you for taking the time to reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines