• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't change paragraph style -- is this a bug?

Participant ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all! I've run into a problem I can't seem to solve. It seems to happen when I've inserted a table. Essentially, the paragraph mark closest to the table seems to have its own paragraph style so that, if I click delete or backspace (where the paragraph mark is at the end of the previous paragraph), it changes the entire paragraph to the new style.

If I try to change the paragraph back to "Body," nothing happens. This has turned into a problem because I occasionally find that I have a space between a paragraph and a table marker (usually when I'm working with conditional text), and it seems impossible to simply backspace/delete to get rid of that space.

It's a littler hard to explain so I've made this video. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a microphone at the moment, so I've tried typing each step within the video. I hope it makes sense. If you need more information from me about the problem, please let me know. Thanks.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try triple-clicking the paragraph to select everything, then apply the Default Paragraph properties from the Character catalog. Then apply your Body paragraph format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, frameexpert. I just tried it, but it didn't work. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of FM are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2019 release - version 15.0.4.751.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try saving as MIF and looking for an instance of PgfLocked near that anchor.

It probably isn't an instance of <PgfLocked Yes> after text inset, but ruling that out narrows the list of suspects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ennar,

Yes. Some versions back I had this issue as well. Sometimes a paragraph got this property. I do not remember, whether these were paragraphs before or after a text inset. Maybe also the very last paragraph in a text flow.

Anyway, when you inspect the MIF file and find this property in your problem paragraph, just delete it.

You can use any text editor which supports Unicode, e.g. Notepad++.

When you just want to inspect a MIF file, you can use MIFBrowse:

http://www.grahamwideman.com/gw/tech/framemaker/mifbrowse.htm 

Old, but it still works.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Winfried,

Apologies for not responding sooner. I'm just seeing this for the first time. I will try this the next time I run into this problem. Thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines