Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't edit content in a .fm file

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm new to FrameMaker, using 2019 version. I've inherited a old project, and everything is going well except that I can't edit the content in the Cover page .fm file. The first page has an image and the second a frame with text. I can't access the image on the first page or the text on the 2nd page.

thanks!

Elo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely it's hiding in the Reference page - what you see most of all are Body pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff,

I've checked the Reference pages and don't see anything. I also looked at Master pages and I get the following message when returning from Master Pages to Body pages - is this unrelated?

Page Layout Warning.gif

thanks,

Elo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could have multiple overlapping text frames on the problem pages.
You could also have other content that's on the page, rather than in Flow A on that page.

Grab some frame borders and Send to Back (Graphics > Arrange) and see what becomes selectable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that worked for the image - apparently, there is a full page text frame that was in front of the image, blocking it?

I can access the image now, but should I delete the full page text frame? It's labeled Flow A, so I'm wondering if this cover page should have a different Flow (or no Flow) so it doesn't have to rely on an override?

thanks!

Elo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't delete the Flow A frame. That's the auto-connected main flow for the whole document.

Rather, migrate the content of the other floating frame to Flow A, then delete that rogue.

In the process, you are apt to discover what problem the original document steward thought they were solving (which likely resulted from lack of fluency in FM).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, will do - thanks so much Bob!!

Elo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines