Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can we convert FrameMaker file to CHM?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Can we convert FrameMaker file to CHM directly? without any add-ins?

Regards

Ranjitha

TOPICS
Publishing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - depends on what version of FM you have (it all goes through the Publishing route)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply. I have installed FrameMaker 2015. Is it possible to generate the chm from it? If not, which tool supports the conversion from CHM to FrameMaker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be there in the Publishing pod - you may have to add a new layout to the settings to see it. IIRC there's no CHM to FM path except through copy/paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 2019 has the MS HTML Help (CHM) output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does work, but you cannot (easily) specify the window size (in case that is an issue for you).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure where those settings are pulled from but I'll see if I can track it down for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you manually decompile the file afterwards, you can change the files, or.... if you're really quick when the CHM is being processed (these files are created OTF) you can open, edit, and save them just in time for FM to include them. Kinda glad we moved to HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could able to generate the chm file from the Publish tab.

I selected Responsive HTML 5. It worked out. Thank you very much for your guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do know that "Microsoft HTML Help" (aka CHM) is not the same as "Responsive HTML5" right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't know that. Then I guess, I had selected Microsoft HTML Help for publishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines