Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot access color to rename or modify in FrameMaker

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I would like to be able to modify and rename one of my custom colors but when I go to the Color Definitions dialog and open the drop-down, it seems to be broken. My color is way down the list but apparently there's no way to access it.

Here's what the bottom of the Color Definitions drop-down looks like:

TMP-Color-Defs-Pulldown.gif

When I click on the down arrow you would think that the list would scroll but no dice - the color next to the arrow is chosen. I can't find any way to access my custom color to modify it.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Elo

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

DOH! Update #2: I thought that the small arrow would scroll the list but just figured out that the arrow does nothing; I have to hold down on the last list item and then move my cursor below the list to scroll. Not intuitive in my opinion. Bottom line, I can now scroll down past the RGB definitions to edit my new color defs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like there are two problems here, and anyone who can address the Adobe side of it is going to need to know what version and point release of FM you are on.

1. possible FM bug: no continuation nav for long catalog dialog
  2. that endless list of RGB colors is something I've seen before - I used to get that if I imported certain types of objects - I dimily recall DXF and DWG being particular problems. You can't even delete those RGBs while the object is still imported. I worked around it by converting the objects to other formats, usually EPS, but PDF would be worth a try too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob,

I have FrameMaker 2019 Version: 15.0.5.838.

I checked images and they are all .gif or .jpg.

Drop-down still doesn't work so I tried deleting the RGB colors; the confirmation popup came up, I said OK and the color was not deleted.

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more note that may be relevant: the two new colors that I added are RGB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: 2019 Version: 15.0.5.838

As I recall, there is a later point release than that available.

re: I tried deleting the RGB colors; the confirmation popup came up, I said OK and the color was not deleted.

That implies that the defs are coming in with some object. It could be tedious to discover which one. You might have to import them one by one into a fresh document, and see which pollutes the Color Catalog.

Meanwhile, in addition to the Import-Color-From-Temp-Doc trick, another hack is to save your current document as MIF, revise the target color in the <ColorCatalog with a text editor, save, and then re-open in FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yikes. I upgraded to version 15.0.6.956 and that didn't help. I have 2000+ pages within 7 different books that have this problem. Each book has loads of objects that were input by previous writers (I'm guessing upwards of 1500 objects total).

Since I apparently can no longer edit my Color defs until the bug is fixed, I'll try the Import Color from Temp Doc trick...

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import trick is likely your most efficient path.
Do check to make sure that none of the files to be updated have modified any of the default FM colors, or they'll get reset to defaults.

Now, as to why this is happening (apart from the FM IU bug), those RGB values also look suspiciously familiar, in that the R-G-B primaries all match. This appears to be an indexed-color image format pretending to be grayscale. JPEG can actually do that, and people inexpert in image file formats do sometimes create such silly things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, good to know! I'll try replacing the .jpg images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of FrameMaker do you use?

There was a bug in an older FrameMaker (2017 or 2019).

Make sure, that you have installed the latest version.

Then you can access the whole list again.

These RGB color are created in FrameMaker, when you copy and paste text from older Word versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Klaus,

I updated to version 15.0.6.956 and the pull-down still doesn't work (see my reply to Bob above). I inherited a pile of very old FrameMaker docs so not sure where the content originally came from. 

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possible workaround: create a new, blank document and create a color in that document with the same exact name and use the desired specifications for the color. Save the document and leave it open. Go to the target document and choose File > Import > Formats and import the Color Definitions from the other document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Do you happen to know when the Color Definitions scrolling bug will be fixed?

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in FM2019? Don't hold your breath - FM's now onto version 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, yeah that makes sense. I thought my subscription would let me update me to the latest version - is that not the case?

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a subscription you can upgrade, but you actually have to go to the trial download page for FrameMaker (https://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/download-trial/try.html), fill out the information for a trial, and then download the installation file. It's stupid, but it's the only way to get the upgrade. As long as you have an active subscription, it will automatically register.

Note that FM2020 is now subscription ONLY, so if you stop paying the subscription FM2020 will stop working. I would advise you to keep FM2019 around on the just in case principle. FM2019 will not open FM2020 binaries, but if you save everything to MIF you can open in FM2019.

Do not try to download from your My plans page from your account.adobe.com page. The download link takes you to the Creative Cloud downloads page. They've known about this for more than a year and still haven't fixed the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much LinSims!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should, but it will be a separate install of FM - you can run multiple versions on one machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: the bug still exists in FrameMaker 2020 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DOH! Update #2: I thought that the small arrow would scroll the list but just figured out that the arrow does nothing; I have to hold down on the last list item and then move my cursor below the list to scroll. Not intuitive in my opinion. Bottom line, I can now scroll down past the RGB definitions to edit my new color defs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines