• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot export graphic or equation contents. Check the element mapping and description.

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using DITA 1.3 Concept to create a topic. There is a equation in it.

I initially insert the equation in element <equation-block> using the FrameMaker equation pod. FrameMaker create an element <EQUATION> which is a invalid element. So I add an element definition <equation> in the EDD and allow it to be a child element of <equation-block>.

The <equation> definition is:

Element (Equation): equation
Attribute list
Name: id        Unique ID       Optional
Name: class     String  Optional

I also add a read/write rule for <equation>, like this:

element "image" {
  is fm equation element "equation";
}

When I save the concept topic with a equation, there always is a error message shown on the console:

XML Write Messages…
Cannot export graphic or equation contents. Check the element mapping and description.

I have modified the read/write rules for several times, but this error message is always there.

If I colse the topic and reoped it again, the equation disappears. An error message is shown on the console too:

XML Read Messages (Document Instance)
Cannot find the file () containing the imported graphic.

How to solve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: …using the FrameMaker equation pod…

Is this the legacy FM equation editor (which may not render to XML) or the newer MathML (which is XML)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just doing a casual test, Basic HTML Publish path, the legacy FM Equation editor results in the equation being exported to HTML as a JPEG. I would expect the same result to XML; not a terribly useful XML object

Whereas the FM Help pages have extensive data on how MathFlow → MathML is exported to XML, for example:
“Note: You can also insert MathML equations in DITA 1.3 topics (topic, task, concept, reference, and troubleshooting.) A new element named, “mathml” is created when you insert a MathML equation.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the user manual of FrameMaker 2019, "Structured authoring" → "Author content" → “Create equations using the Equations pod" describes how to create an equation with the build-in equations pod of FrameMaker in structured document.
Online Link: https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2019/using/index.html#t=using-framemaker-2019%2Fuser-guide%2...

In the FM Structure Application Developer's Guide, "23 Translating Graphics and Equations" → "Default translation" describes how FrameMaker tranlate the equation created by the build-in equations pod to markup. It will create a CGM format file by default. The subsection "Creating graphic files on export" explains in which situations FM will create a file for graphic and equation.
Online document: https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2015/StructuredDev/Structure_Dev_Guide.pdf
(PS: What i am reading is a version of 2019 release, but i can't find its url now)

But when I export the equation created by the build-in equations pld, FrameMaker doesn't create the graphic file. When I reopened the XML file, there is error message:
XML Read Messages (Document Instance)Cannot find the file () containing the imported graphic.

wongyah@163.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still confused about which equations dialog you are using.
If you see a panel like the one shown lower on the page at:
https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2019/using/index.html#t=using-framemaker-2019%2Fuser-guide%2...
it's the legacy Equations dialog, and not the new MathML (MathFlow) dialog.
Documentation to the contrary notwithstanding, I wouldn't expect legacy equations to render to any sort of useful XML objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bob_Niland
Yes, I am using legacy Equations dialog. Most often, I output the document to PDF, and my documents contain an equation occasionally. So, maybe legacy Equation dialog is the simplest way to do this. (I am a starter, haven't use mathml till now. Maybe try it later).

I exported the equation created by legacy Equations dialog to XML file and imported it back to Framemaker succefully yesterday:
Create an equation element in the EDD.
Create an equation element in the corresponding DTD file ("equationDomain.mod"). The equation element's declaration follows the one shown in the FM Structure Application Developer's Guide, "23 Translating Graphics and Equations" → "Default translation" → "On export to markup" → "Text of default graphics and equations declarations".
Write a read/write rule for the equation element.
[:smiling_face] Thanks @Bob_Niland!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: …haven't use mathml till now. Maybe try it later

When you do, first check the status of:
https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-11189
“MathFlow EULA link isn't to an EULA anymore”

MathFlow (and apparently a trial version thereof) isn't pre-installed in FM. So the first use of it results in a bunch of dialogs, which don't work at the moment, due to, it appears, MathFlow becoming MathType, and its parent corporation changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines