Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change bars to an anchored frame?

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 2019 Release, Version 15.0.2.503

Is there a way to apply change bars to an anchored frame?  I have had some luck if I create empty paragraphs before and after, select both empty paragraphs (and everything in between and then apply a change bar.  But I have inconsistent results, and this seems like a clumsy workaround.  I have been drawing them in manually (gasps).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Hi Andrew:

This isn't perfect, but since you seem flexible on the anchoring, this may work for you:

1. Anchor the frame to its own ¶—define a tag like "anchor" to control the space above, below, alignment and indent.
  2. Set the anchoring position to Anchor at insertion point so that the bottom of the image is aligned with the bottom of the ¶.
    Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.41.33 PM.png
  3. Make a character tag, like "CB" for change bars
    Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.46.09 PM.png

4. After an edit to an anchored frame, triple click the ¶ and apply the character tagScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.46.16 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe so. As you've discovered, you'll need to highlight the frame anchor, the entire frame, and the paragraph below. Not only that, but even if you have automatic change bars turned on, they are not applied to anchored frames when they are inserted or changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew:

This isn't perfect, but since you seem flexible on the anchoring, this may work for you:

1. Anchor the frame to its own ¶—define a tag like "anchor" to control the space above, below, alignment and indent.
  2. Set the anchoring position to Anchor at insertion point so that the bottom of the image is aligned with the bottom of the ¶.
    Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.41.33 PM.png
  3. Make a character tag, like "CB" for change bars
    Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.46.09 PM.png

4. After an edit to an anchored frame, triple click the ¶ and apply the character tagScreen Shot 2019-02-11 at 1.46.16 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Putting the anchor in its own paragraph with a special paragraph tag (the one I have is called, oddly enough, A Anchor) and then using At Insertion Point for placement is how I normally handle graphics. I hadn't mentioned that because it's specific to the At Insertion Point type of anchoring and I wasn't certain which he was using.

You don't need to create a character tag, though. When using the At Insertion Point placement in a paragraph that holds only the anchor, you can triple-click to select the whole paragraph and graphic and then press Esc-c-h, or use Format > Style > Change Bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like bypassing the styles better, Lin, and going directly to Format > Style > Change Bar.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, where did you get the text for your sample graphics? It's hysterical. I'm still giggling over "leggings mumblecore".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, it's hipster ipsum: https://hipsum.co/​. I'm too old to be a hipster but it still makes me laugh. When I get bored of that one, there are plenty more: 15 Funny Lorem Ipsum Generators to Shake Up Your Design Mockups

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think I've tried that one. I have used the Swedish Chef one in the past because, seriously, who doesn't love the Swedish Chef?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines