Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changed dimensions for source image

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Something has been bugging me for a while.

Let's say I import an image called screenshot.png. Later, I find I am not happy with the image so I take a new screenshot. I rename it screenshot.png and replace the old one in the folder. In Framemaker, the image is then replaced as well. But, as the dimensions are not exactly the same, the image doesn't look good in the document. So I have to delete the image and the anchored frame in Framemaker and import the image again.

I wish there was some way to mark the anchored frame and say "adjust to image original dimensions" or something like that. 

(I don't know the correct terms, maybe dimensions is not what you would use)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Hi,

When the graphis file dimensions change non-proportionally, then FrameMaker does not change any Scaling value in the Object Properties pod. Just enter e.g. 100 % here, and FrameMaker will show the graphics file undistorted. Then you can apply ESC m p.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what you want is "Fit to frame proportionately", which resizes the image to fit the frame but keeps the same aspect ratio so the picture isn't distorted. (NB: I usually just delete and reimport, myself. Might be time to learn a new trick.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I do the same as you do:

" import an image called screenshot.png.

take a new screenshot. I rename it screenshot.png and replace the old one in the folder.

In Framemaker, the image is then replaced as well. But, as the dimensions are not exactly the same, the image

doesn't look good in the document. "

Then I select the Frame and type Esc M P and it fixes it.

You might have to then select the image and right click to open "Object properties" and verify that the scaling is as you want, but that is all. Small tweaking, but not deleting the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caroline, Esc M P certainly does the trick in other situations. But not in this one. What Esc M P does is to resize the anchored frame to fit the object. I do that all the time when I have changed the scaling. This problem is unfortunately not fixed by that, the picture is disorted and no matter what I do, it stays that way until I delete and reimport it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When the graphis file dimensions change non-proportionally, then FrameMaker does not change any Scaling value in the Object Properties pod. Just enter e.g. 100 % here, and FrameMaker will show the graphics file undistorted. Then you can apply ESC m p.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: I rename it screenshot.png and replace the old one in the folder.

When I do that, I make darn sure the new image has exactly the same extents (and dpi) as the original.
Otherwise, re-import.
Having some visible-to-author-only metadata nearby can help too, by indicating scale factor (if any), and source file name (in case deleted).

It might be nice to have some magical support for image replacement, but then we'll get questions here on: what's that's doing and how do I turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines