• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapter numbering grayed out - how to fix?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's a fun one. I was compiling my book and noticed that all my chapter numbers were set to 1. No problem, right? Just reset the numbering for chapter to "continue numbering from previous chapter in book." Well... no so much. I can't update my chapter numbering. It's all grayed out. Volume, page are accessible, but chapter is not.

I've verified that I am actually using the <$chapnum> variable (I even re-entered it to be safe). It's on a master page, but that's never been an issue before.

My co-writer is working on a different book, and his chapter numbering properties are accessible. I'm not finding an answer in the forums or anywhere else online. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Running FrameMaker 2019 - unstructured.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

I just encountered this very same problem while compiling my book. I realize my answer is over a year late - but hopefully can help someone who is looking for a fix for this!

For me, using Folders while building my book file was the issue - when I tried to reset the numbering, the Chapter tab was grayed out. However, if I added the files first, I was able to access the Chapter tab. I then reset the Chapter numbering as needed and only then proceeded to add Folders to the structure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Crystal:

You are correct that all chapters initially believe that they should be chapter one, and begin on page one. Stacking them in the book window and telling them to increment both page and chapter numbers is the correct fix.

On to troubleshooting: should the numbers only appear in the running head and not on the first page of each chapter? Do you have the words Chapter 1 showing in the body of the document on page one?

We need to figure out how you are referencing them (screen shots help) first and then why they aren't updating.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the quick reply!
I'm only referencing the actual chapter number on the first page of each chapter. We don't use chapter numbers in the running heads.

On our master page for the first chapter page, I have a text box that contains the system variable <$chapnum>. It's part of the normal workflow, so It's always updated when we update the book files. I don't even have the word "chapter" with it - it's just hanging out in it's own little box, doing its variable thing.

My pc was switched out this morning (after I'd written this post), so I don't have a screenshot just yet. Let me get FM reinstalled and I'll add one.

It's very weird - we've done many books with these templates and I've never seen this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I'm trying to recreate it this, Crystal.

1. The variable is on the master page.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.00.19 AM.png
  2. It appears on page 1 of each file.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.02.05 AM.png
  3. You select chapters 2 through last chapter and right click > Numbering. Is this what is grayed out?Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.02.32 AM.png
  4. You should select the Chapter tab > Continue Numbering From Previous Chapter in Book. Appy. (Does Apply update your book?)
    Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.02.42 AM.png
  5. Then all chapter numbers should update.Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.02.53 AM.png

What is different in your workflow?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the images - that's exactly what I was trying to describe. Again, I've done this hundreds of times with no issues, but for some reason this one book has decided to play rough.

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Yes, this is what I'm expecting to happen, but my Chapter numbering tab is grayed out.
  4. I can't click anything on it except Set/Cancel. FM no Chapter.png

Thanks again for helping with this.

Thanks,

Crystal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working in a Book or just using folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this very same problem while compiling my book. I realize my answer is over a year late - but hopefully can help someone who is looking for a fix for this!

For me, using Folders while building my book file was the issue - when I tried to reset the numbering, the Chapter tab was grayed out. However, if I added the files first, I was able to access the Chapter tab. I then reset the Chapter numbering as needed and only then proceeded to add Folders to the structure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi PrarieMarie,

Very good!

Can you also describe this issue in the Adobe Tracker?

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/home 

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines