• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapters do not display after generating the TOC and Chapter numbering not working correctly.

Participant ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each time I generate a new TOC, the TOC generates, but I cannot click on a chapter and have the chapter display. I clicks on a chapter and only the TOC displays. I am using FrameMaker 2019.

Also, I keep getting errors that say the book numbering is not correct.

I set the first file as Volume 1 and Chapter 1. Then set all the others as Same as Previous, but  the page numbers do not advance correctly. The first chapter goes from page 1 to 60, but the next chapter does not start at 61.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Generated files do not automatically dock to the document tab area but float on top of the other documents; I must drag them up there manually. (They stay there after I do that.) Could that be the issue?

Just to clarify, I have to double-click a chapter in the book file to open it, not just click it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: …but the next chapter does not start at 61.

What number does it get?
If "1", the usual suspect is either something resetting the sequence counter, which could be at the file or book level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have chapter A starting with Volume 1 and Chapter 1 and page number 1. Chapter B has Volume 1, Continue Numbering from Previous Chapter in the Book, and Page Number is set to Continue Numbering from Previous Page in the Book. However, it displays page 3, instead of 61. I will address the TOC issue separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then set all the others as Same as Previous

Well, this is not correct fot the page number. For this you shouls select: Continue from previous chapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the exact same exact Numbering settings as in my previous book for USA (this one is Canada), and the second chapter file starts with 3, instead of 61. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I resolved the page numbering issue. I imported Formats from the other sections in the US manual and that fixed the page numbering for each section. Simply applying the same numbering settings did not fix the issue.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you synchronized Document Properties when updating the book, you would set all the chapters to the numbering of the control document. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultcbj1p6qywajq:

Each time I generate a new TOC, the TOC generates, but I cannot click on a chapter and have the chapter display. I clicks on a chapter and only the TOC displays.

In FrameMaker, use Ctrl+Alt+Click to follow a hyperlink.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not trying to follow a link, Barb. The issue is that I generate a TOC from the book file, and the chapters are A, B, C, etc. through W.  After generating the TOC, I cannot double-click on one of the Chapters and open the chapter. Instead, I only see the TOC.  However, the TOC is in a separate window and appears not to be part of the book. However, it clearly shows the TOC above Chapter A, as created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're saying that you are clicking on the TOC entry for a chapter and the chapter file is not opening, then yes, you are trying to follow a link and you have to Ctrl+Alt+Click.

If you're saying that you're clicking on the chapter in the book file or in something like File Explorer and it isn't opening, that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am clicking on the chapter in the book file and it isn't opening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generated files do not automatically dock to the document tab area but float on top of the other documents; I must drag them up there manually. (They stay there after I do that.) Could that be the issue?

Just to clarify, I have to double-click a chapter in the book file to open it, not just click it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I stated before, I believe, I did double-click the chapter files. Anyway, I did discover that the generated file was not docked to the document tab area and it was floating on top, as you state. That was the issue and I noted that earlier and moved it up to the top with the other docked files.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You switched between "click" and "double-click". I just wanted to clarify.

Our posts about floating tabs for generated files happened at (nearly) the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was clicking on the FrameMaker sections (chapters), I was double-clicking on them. However, the TOC was floating. Therefore, I manually moved the TOC file up with the other book files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The floating generated files is just something Frame does. Luckily, once you move them up with the rest of the tabbed documents, they stay there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! You ran into a long-time quirk of FrameMaker...the first time you open a generated file, the window "floats"

This makes it seem like you can't make the other document active. If you look closely, the proper document is active...it's just masked by the floating document on top of the doc that you want!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Matt. This issue has already been resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a screenshot would help of what you're trying to click?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I resolved the page numbering issue. I imported Formats from the other sections in the US manual and that fixed the page numbering for each section. I also found the issue with the TOC. It was in a separate frame and not in the top (open files) title bar. Once I moved it up to the top sections title bar, then I could open the other sections when clicking on them.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines