• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clicking document link and back to original link location

Participant ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on a document link, it takes me to the specified location. I was wondering if there is a button or way to go back to the original location of the link I clicked on.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose the only option I have to validate linking is to output the book to PDF and check them from there.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What type of links are you looking to validate?

If external web links, the fm doc should remain in the same location.

Cross-references are validated whenever you open a file or update a book (among other things)

Hypertext markers and/or references can be collected into a generated doc, and then easily validated by using the  generated doc to navigate as needed.

See Chapter 21, Creating Other Generated Files in FrameMaker - Working with Content for more information.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I was wondering if there is a button or way to go back to the original location of the link I clicked on.

In what context? In FM edit, PDF viewer, HTML browser, eBook, XML?
In PDF, for example, the viewer can usually be enabled to provide a back button.
If only one spot ever references the target, you can add a return link at the the target, but that's usually not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring within FrameMaker. I am aware of the other options in other formats (e.g., PDF Previous View button, MS Word's back button, browser's Back button, etc.).

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about a cross-reference link?

If so, there are a couple things you can do. There's a Cross-References pod (View -> Panels -> Cross References) that gives you a listing of all cross-references in a document or all open files or, if you choose a book file, all the cross references in the book.

It gives you the information inserted into text, where the cross-reference is inserted, and what it refers to. 

cross-reference-pod.png

Or you can keep the Cross-Reference window open and after you get to a reference, you can click (BUT NOT CTRL+ALT+CLICK) on it you can then click on Go to Source, which is next to the field identifying the document name and it will take you there.

go to source.png

Either way should give you the information you need. The Cross References pod (1st image) will also show a little red X to the left of the cross-reference text if the link is bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Option 1 seems most feasible to return to the original location, but how do you view all links in the book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the Filter icon and select the name of the book file.

ETA: The Go To Source option will take you to the place being referenced, but you have to select the cross-reference for it to work. And to get back where you started from, use the CTRL+ALT+click on the cross-reference.

The first option does NOT take you to anywhere in the book. It's just a list of the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines