Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining two small pages into one for book

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried searching this out and did not come across anything. If I create two small pages, let's say the first page is Warranty information and can be used across 20 product lines. I create a new page about Testing Information, this can be used across 5 product lines. When I place these pages into a book format and print, how to I get them to flow onto one PDF page?

Should I add the first 1/4 page to the book then import the second 1/2 page? I am using FrameMaker 2017 unstructured template.

Thanks,

Justin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Hi Justin,

I like to create chunks as individual .fm files, and import them by reference (create a text inset) for each instance.

The insets will flow as if they are "normal" text, and be controlled by the content of the original .fm file(s)

See FrameMaker - Working with Content for more info

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin,

I like to create chunks as individual .fm files, and import them by reference (create a text inset) for each instance.

The insets will flow as if they are "normal" text, and be controlled by the content of the original .fm file(s)

See FrameMaker - Working with Content for more info

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Justin:

I agree with Matt's suggestion to use text insets for this situation—a major benefit of text insets is when you notice a typo after you import the Warranty text into the twenty documents, you can edit the source file and the content will be updated in each location.

how to I get them to flow onto one PDF page?

I also wanted to add that you can't reflow text in a PDF—so you will need to handle the layout in FrameMaker so that both Warranty Information and Testing Information are physically on the same page, whether you use text insets or the low-tech copy and paste.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines