Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content Management System Benefits

Participant ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys

I would like to know if I can have some help to find out how a CMS could benefit us and if it is something to consider investing in. I have never worked with CMS before and I have read about but it is not clear to me yet.

Thank you 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be for Technical writing content. Is that used for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes a CMS can be used in multi-author environments to provide version control. It can also be used in structured content to provide content reuse and localization (usually that becomes a CCMS - Component Content Management System).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Daniela Barros: …how a CMS could benefit us…

Every authoring situation requires having backup/recovery, and knowing that you are working with the latest version of a document. FM's built-in "backup" feature is generally inadequate. You often discover you really need that .backup file upon opening the .fm file, at which point that ,backup is gone. If your enterprise uses a journaling file system, you might have this covered (and in my last position, this is what we relied on it, and it was a life-saver in several instances).

The "us" suggests more than one author. The FM locking feature can at least prevent simultaneous/overlapping access directly to the files, but won't help if people are working on local copies, then copying them back. A CMS provides broader control.

Do you have strict revision control? Do you require at least reference copies of prior revs? Do you have need of generating prior revs? Do you need to maintain prior revs independently? CMS can do that.

I do not know if there are any CMS products that are content-aware for FM binary formats (.fm, .book). At the very least. you'll want a CMS that can store arbitrary binary formats.

re: …consider investing in.

There appear to be a number of open-source CMS products in addition to the commercial products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines