• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Context Rule fails to recognise Element Attribute (FM2019)

Enthusiast ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the following Element set up in my EDD:

2022-03-11_15h23_13.png

When I use the TrainingManual Element, no matter which Attribute option I select, the Context Rule is ignored:

2022-03-11_15h27_04.png

I've used similar Attributes on other Elements without any problems. I'm at a loss as to what I'm missing and why it's not working.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Quintin,

Two possibilities occur to me:

1) If the TrainingManual element is in the book, changing the attribute will not affect formatting within book components, until you update the book. (This design allows one file to be used as a component in different books. For example, you may have one book with OutputType set to MSWord and another with OutputType set to PDF. You can update either book to set the formattig in all its book components accordingly.)

2)  Rule 2 might overwrite formattin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out I had to remove the *<TrainingManual from the Rule. However, I now find that the Context Rule is re-evaluated when I change the Attribute to another selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker is a WYSIWYG application. Whenever you change the structure, by adding, deleting, moving, or renaming elements, or an attribute. FrameMaker reapplies relevant format rules. In many cases, the reapplication does not change the appearance, but that is always a possibility.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realised my second statement is incorrect (and possibly confusing). I meant to say that the Context Rule is not re-evaluated when I change the Attribute:

2022-03-14_08h39_58.png

2022-03-14_08h41_39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quintin,

Your original context specification was:

* < TrainingManual[OutputType = "MSWord"]

Since you used this context specification in a format rule for the TrainingManual element, you were testing for a TrainingManual that occurred within another TrainingManual where the outer TrainingManual had set the OutputType to MSWord.

If TrainingManual elements do not nest, a rule with this context specification will never fire. To test an attribute value of the element being formatted, just use an attribute test. The entire context specification would be:

[OutputType = "MSWord"].

By the way, you could use the original context specification to format any subelement of a Training Manual with the specified attribute.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quintin,

Two possibilities occur to me:

1) If the TrainingManual element is in the book, changing the attribute will not affect formatting within book components, until you update the book. (This design allows one file to be used as a component in different books. For example, you may have one book with OutputType set to MSWord and another with OutputType set to PDF. You can update either book to set the formattig in all its book components accordingly.)

2)  Rule 2 might overwrite formatting made in rule 1.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lynne,

I've figured that out 😊. I've opted not to go down the rabbit hole of using an Attribute. Instead, I've reworked our EDD so that, instead of the Font Family being specified in every FormatChangeList, I've added a ContextRule to the Element to apply either a BaseFont or AltFont FormatChangeList, then follow the rest of the ContextRules to apply element-specific formatting. This way we just need to change the FontFamily in the two ChangeFormatLists - this will make it easier if there is a change in corporate font in the future.

Thanks,

Quintin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines