Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert old fm2 files into .eps or pdf

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear A ll

I have to re-edit old articles I wrote in the 90s and I have some drawings (5 to be precise) still published with FrameMaker. Unfortunately I do not work with framemaker anymore. Does anyone know if  there is  a simple solution I can use to edit these files and export them in .eps or .pdf  (I searched but looks like that Adobe is not proposing a free monthly trial anymore)?

Thank you very much for your advice

Fabrice

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fabricen12632321: …looks like that Adobe is not proposing a free monthly trial anymore)?

This page shows a Download Trial, which leads to this page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fabrice, were you able to download the trial per the link Bob provided?

I recall that those early versions of Fm also used a DOC extension. They should open easily in Fm 2019, but you'll either need to change the extension to .FM, or set the Open dialog to All Files so that you can select the DOC files as well as FM files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also the question of just what is the content that needs to be recovered.

If the document already exists as PDF, pages can be deconstructed and art recovered. I've done this in Illustrator many times. Whether other vector editors can do it is an open question.

Once re-opened in a newer FM, is the art native FM graphics, embedded vector, embedded raster, or some imported-by-reference elements you no longer have?

If native or embedded vector, it's pretty easy to neutralize all the other content on the page, then print the page as PDF or even EPS, for re-use elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bob,

Yes thank you for the link, but I tried to install it first on my laptop but I did not have enough space left (you need around 10gb, to install FM). So then I tried on my PC at home but once the (Installation OPTIONS) window popped up, I selected the language and location, clicked on Continue but nothing happened....  I do not know why actually - may be because I did several download and Adobe blocked the installation?

Not easy to setup, probably the best for me is to ask somebody who is using it if he can be kind enough to export these files in PDF or .eps. It was mainly drawings for a coupled of articles I published a long time ago.

Thank you for your support

Best regards

Fabrice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't have any problems downloading the FM installer - sometimes you just need to use a different browser. If you'd like, you can shoot me a private message & I can take a look at your old files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Jeff

It works now, actually the problem was the firewall

So I can upload my old files

Thanks for your kindness

Fabrice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines