• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting Madcap to Frammaker or importing the same

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could pls help me to get the information on whether we can convert or import Madcap files to Framemaker? if yes how?

We have FM2010 and 2015 versions

Our existing project's source files are in Madcap flare, wanted to move to Framemaker 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that Mapcap files are XHTML files so you may just be able to open them with structured FrameMaker. Otherwise, you could use some scripting to convert them to a format that could be opened with FrameMaker. If you have to go the scripting route, I would be willing to look at a few files to see what it would take to get them converted. Do you have a target FrameMaker template that you want to use for the content?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could look at some of Madcap's output products - like Word docs or PDFs - and use those as your source to suck them into FM...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used Flare, but a quick search turned up a slide show by an IBM employee that strongly suggests that Flare can export directly to FM (or could, circa 2015).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob,

Can you please provide that link to me? None of my searches hit that link from IBM.

Thnaks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acording to the Flare forums, that Flare export to FM was deprecated - https://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30998

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've got an older computer on which I'm running Flare 2017 and FrameMaker 2015 (and other versions). I've done a quick test with one of the Flare Template projects (EmployeeManual). For doing so I've added a new FrameMaker Target to the project (everything set to "default") and started an output build. The build starts, Flare launches FrameMaker and creates the output files, a book file, a TOC file, and chapters (not all of them, but this might have to do with a setting in the project). Opening these files in FrameMaker shows usable results.

However, I've then opened the same project in Flare 2021 (on another computer, with FrameMaker 2015 and 2019), and get this error message, which confirms what those Flare sources say:

Screenshot 2022-02-17 110349.png

So the answer to your question is: It does actually work, but only with older versions of Flare (here: 2017). If you could get hold of such an older version you should be able to migrate your projects.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines