• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Correct something in a personal dictionary

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow I managed to set FrameMaker 12 to mark the word "for" as a misspelling. I have no idea. But now, I cannot add it to the dictionary, and the instructions in the error message about how to fix this make no sense. I have spent hours trying a million ways of editing a personal dictionary, putting where I think it needs to be, importing, merging, personal AND document, restarting FrameMaker, etc... Still thinks "for" is not a word. I have read and re-read the documentation and it just does NOT work. Can someone please, please help? It's driving me batty to see those red squiggly lines all over the place.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I wrote for my fellow Tech Writers, hopefully it can be of use to you:

Update Custom FrameMaker Dictionary

FrameMaker’s dictionaries are located at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker2015\dict

This file can be edited using Notepad.

I didn’t bother to re-sequence the words and it worked fine.

FM has to be closed then opened for FM to recognize the newer dictionary version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion techpubs2015, but sadly, it did not work. Here's what I did:

1. Located site.dct in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker12\dict.
  2. Edited with Notepad++ to add the word "for".
  3. Save and close site.dct.
  4. Close and reopen FrameMaker.

"for" still flagged as wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Dictionaries option in the Spell Checker to manage your dictionaries.

The path to the actual user Dictionary is unfortunately unreadable due to the concatenation used in the fixed-size window. So the best way to handle this is to write the personal dictionary to a text file, edit that file and then re-import the edited file. Caution: every entry must have a "-" hyphen in it, even if the word is not hyphenated, so you must add a hyphen at the start of the word in this case, e.g. "-xml". Otherwise, FM will crash if this condition is not met [been there, done that...].

FM_user_dict.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might help with adding a word, but I am finding that, over time, I must have accepted some incorrect spellings. What I need to know is how to open and edit the personal dictionary. My goal would be to delete any "corrections" that are wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When you write your dictionary to a file, you can edit it with a text editor and delete all misspelled words. Then import the file to replace your current dictionary.

All is explained in the online help:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/index.html#t=using-framemaker%2Fuser-guide%2Ffrm_text_...

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. The link is that of the search in the online help.

Here is the correct link:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/using-framemaker/user-guide/frm_text_tx-dictionary-fun...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Reng. This worked perfectly. Next time, I'll be more careful when I hit the Learn button in spell checker!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines