• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create Mini-TOC menu item is grayed out

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each of our chapters starts with a title page that has its own Master Page, which contains a text box. We would like to insert a min-TOC in that text box, but the Insert > Table of Contents > Create Mini TOC menu item is grayed out. It's not grayed out if I'm in one of the chapter's regular body pages, only on the title page."Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

If you can see a §, I'm then motivated to ask what Flow is assigned, and/or is the page Frame auto-connect?

If not Flow A and/or not a/c, that might be the problem, and I say might because most of my FM experience is from the pre-MiniTOC era, and recent projects have been happy just using hand-curated in-Flow TOCs (which are no problem once the document structure is stable).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is meant by "text box"? A Master Page would be expect to have a Text Frame, so I'm not sure what a text box is.

And are you trying to insert the MiniTOC on the Master Page, or
on a Body page that has that MP applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

* What is meant by "text box"? - It's a text box that is drawn only on the Title Master Page. It is about ¾ of the width of the text boxes on the Left and Right Master Pages.

* And are you trying to insert it on the Master Page, or on a Body page that has that MP applied? - I'm trying to create the mini-TOC in the text box on a Body page that has the Title Master Page applied. In Body Pages view, I see that the text box on the title page has an end-of-file marker.

Thanks again,
Chris

[This is a public forum. Your personal contact information was removed for your protection in. In the future ,please be sure to remove your email signature prior to posting a reply through email.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can see a §, I'm then motivated to ask what Flow is assigned, and/or is the page Frame auto-connect?

If not Flow A and/or not a/c, that might be the problem, and I say might because most of my FM experience is from the pre-MiniTOC era, and recent projects have been happy just using hand-curated in-Flow TOCs (which are no problem once the document structure is stable).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Chris23078224r3em:

Can you click an insertion point into the text frame on the title page? Can you see the text frame on the title page when View > Borders is activated?

Here is a quick demo, showing the addition of a mini-TOC to a page with a custom master page applied. As you can see, it works as expected but you do need to have an insertion point blinking in the frame. And the text frame needs to be a template frame and not a background frame.

~Barb

minitoc.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did find the cause of my problems. The text box where I was trying to create the mini-toc was in a different flow than the body pages. I'm not totally up on flows, but I noticed that the text box had flow B and everything else had A. I ended up deleting the text box altogether (I'm not sure how it got there in the first place) and just added the mini-TOC to the underlying page. It worked fine.

Thank you Bob and Barb for your replies. Things you said led me in the right direction. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines