• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating content which is used selectively for print and online

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We want to use the same book file to create content which will be used for printed PDFs and for online documentation.

For cross-references, we'd like the printed version to include page numbers (i.e. Please see Policy ABC on page 123). 

For the online version, we want to omit the page numbers and just have a hyperlink (i.e. Please see Policy ABC).

Is there a way to do this in FM 2017?

Thank you,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Sure - just create separate settings files in the Publish pod - for the online version, change the character mapping to that clipped xref format. The other approach is to duplicate the xrefs and use conditional text on the variations.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure - just create separate settings files in the Publish pod - for the online version, change the character mapping to that clipped xref format. The other approach is to duplicate the xrefs and use conditional text on the variations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Set up the book for print, including page numbers on the x-refs.

Once the book is printed, you can modify the x-ref format to remove the page numbers, and import the updated definition to the other files in the book via File > Import > Formats. (I normally add a "link" character tag to the x-ref format at the same time so that the x-refs have a color and perhaps an underline to draw the reader's eye to the links.)

When you are ready to create the PDF, use Save as PDF to maintain the hyperlinks on the x-refs.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb - you think "online" and think PDFs hosted on a web site or distributed electronically; I hear "online" and think Responsive HTML5 ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we are using Responsive HTML 5 for the online version.  Thanks for helping clarify that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff—yes, I do!

Ok, John did you get what you need from Jeff's answer? If so, you or I can mark it correct.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created a free mini course to show how all this works...

http://techcomm.tools/html5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines