• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross Reference to a Text Inset

Participant ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chapter 5 contains a text inset.  Chapter 7 contains a cross reference link to content in that text inset.  When I create a PDF, clicking the link in Chapter 7 does not make the Chapter 5 text inset display.  Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version and patch level of FM?

How are you generating the PDF (save-as, publish, print-to-PDF or print-to-Ps&distill)?

What are your output settings, in particular Generate Acrobat Data?

What you want to do appears to work in FM7, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM 2017, 14.0.4.511     I use File > Save As PDF.

When I click Update Book the Chapter 7 link displays in the book error report as "Unresolved Cross Reference", so it's probably not a PDF problem.  But if I open Chapter 7 in Frame and double-click the link, it prompts me to open the source file, and upon doing so it displays the source file with the destination easily visible.

If the XRef is unresolved, why does it work in Frame?  If it's resolved, why does it fail in PDF?

Thanks,

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to have an xref to a specific spot within the text inset, you have to create a marker in the original file and then have your xref link to the marker. There's information in the Adobe help documents on how to do this.

Insert cross-references

Scroll down until you see Insert a cross-reference to a Cross-Ref marker in a document

and follow the directions there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was linking to a paragraph format; I'll try linking to a marker.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works with a text inset when you're linking to the document that contains the original text that you are then using as an inset. That's in the section just above the one I originally referred you to, and it's possible that section (Insert cross-reference to a paragraph in a text inset) will actually be more useful. In fact, I think that's the section I meant to send you to, originally. Sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone.  It looks like I can Xref from Chapter 7 to the text inset inside Chapter 5 as long as I select Chapter 5 in the Document: field on the Cross-Reference dialog.  I had be specifying the text inset there instead.  I hadn't realized that all of the Xref markers (and paragraph formats) in the text inset would also be listed as part of the parent chapter file's markers and formats. 

However, this still doesn't work if I want to Xref from the Chapter 5 parent to content inside the text inset.  Strange.  Fortunately I don't need to do that, at least not today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to have the document your text inset was created in, before it became a text inset, open.

Your choices then, if I read the directions correctly, are:

• Create an xref directly from, say, chapter 7 to the paragraph in the document that the text inset was created in, but you run the risk of losing the reference if the document the text inset was created in is updated (NOTE: This means that if you are using the text inset in chapter 5, you do NOT create the xref to chapter 5, you create it to the document the text inset is in.)
  • Opening the document the text inset was created in and creating an xref marker to the paragraph you want to link to within the document holding the text inset, deleting the xref (but not the marker) in the document holding the text inset, then linking to the xref MARKER from chapter 7, or chapter 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may have trouble with xrefs in text insets...If needed, consider reorganizing your content to avoid them.

Just sayin'

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines