I use a master document which only contains insets. I have trouble with cross references:
Module 1 contains a table.
Module 2 is to cross reference that table ("see table xy").
I opened both files and put in the cross reference.
My master document contains both modules as insets.
Problem 1: Module 2, in the master document, is referencing "Table 1", while it should be "Table 2". I solved this problem by inserting a cross reference in module 1 to the table in module 1, and then copy that cross reference to module 2. The numbers are now updating correctly. Is there an easier way to do this?
Problem 2: FM displays the cross reference in the master document's overview of cross references correctly as far as I can tell: source document is my master document, source page is the page containing the table. Once I save the master document as PDF (via Save as), the cross reference seems to get lost. I can still click on the cross reference, but I am not directed to the referenced table.
If I have a closer look at the cross reference in Acrobat, it gives me a cross reference number not contained in the document.
Is there a way to fix this?
I use FM 2019, unstructured.
Any help is much appreciated!
I've never tried using Xrefs in Insets, having some suspicion that refactoring them is possibly several non-trivial challenges, and that FM probably doesn't attempt it.
A forum search on [ framemaker inset cross ref ] turns up some confirmation of that.
Apparently, Xrefs in an inset aren't even live by the time it makes it to PDF, unless some aftermarket tools are applied.
Thank you, that is a helpful document.
I tried to follow your explanation, inserted a marker into the inset and referenced said marker in the container from the other container. Once I convert it to text and then to PDF, the link is still not working, though. Framemaker displays it correctly and jumps to the right table once I converted it to text.
As my initial idea was to re-use the modules in (at least) two different master documents, setting up the cross references to insets in the master document sadly does not solve my problem. If your solution is the only one, I think I have to give up on that idea.
Thanks so much for your input, though! 🙂