• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting blank page

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an IPB, Illustrated Parts Breakdown, similar to a military RPSTL, which has a graphic on one page, with table of parts on the next page, then repeated several times. In one place, there's a blank page in between the graphic and the table that I would like to remove. If I delete the line that's at the top of the blank page, instead of moving the table below it up, the graphic below that table moves up. Any idea why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

When FrameMaker inserts a table or a graphic, it creates something called an anchor. This looks like a really bolded upside-down T (), and it is considered "spaceless". Each table and graphic gets its own anchor, and because they are "spaceless" if you have your cursor on a single line and insert more than one table or graphic without pressing space or return, they are literally layered on top of each other. Also, if there is only the anchor on that line, its symbol can "merge" into the pilcrow

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall seeing this before, but these are what I'd check:

• Anchor positions for the tables and graphics: make sure they're in the right order
  • Size of the first graphic: If it's too large to fit in the frame, it might be creating that extra blank page
  • Size of the first or last rows in the table (longshot, but rows that stretch longer than a full page do weird things at the end of a frame)
  • Position settings for the table and the second graphic; maybe something got overridden

Do you put each anchor on its own line, or are they all on the same line? When you turn on Text Symbols, what do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linsims, I'm pretty new to framemaker, so my questions may seem "newb", but I don't want to make assumptions. The single line on the blank page just shows a paragraph symbol. When I delete it, the table on the next page is also deleted. Does that tell you anything?

Also, I'm not knowledgeable on the details of anchored frames. When I insert a graphic, an anchored frame is created around it. But I don't know how to check anchor positions as you suggested.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Techi:

One more thing to check in addition to Lin's excellent list—both anchored frames and tables can be set to float. This can cause two anchored objects to switch positions so that the smaller one comes first, even if its anchor was second.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to know. I've never set any of my anchored objects to float, so I've never come across that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When FrameMaker inserts a table or a graphic, it creates something called an anchor. This looks like a really bolded upside-down T (), and it is considered "spaceless". Each table and graphic gets its own anchor, and because they are "spaceless" if you have your cursor on a single line and insert more than one table or graphic without pressing space or return, they are literally layered on top of each other. Also, if there is only the anchor on that line, its symbol can "merge" into the pilcrow and effectively become invisible (). It sounds to me like this is what is happening with your apparently blank line.

This is why I always put each anchor on its own line with a special tag using a 2-pt font and 0 points above and below, and I usually put a space before and after it to make sure it's visible.

For table positioning, place your cursor in a table cell and then open Table Designer (Table > Format > Table Designer). On the Basic tab, look for Start and make sure it says Anywhere.

For graphics, I generally use the At Insertion Point, which keeps the base of the graphic in the line containing the anchor. Select the graphic and then press Esc-m-p (sequentially, not all at once). That wraps the graphic frame around the graphic and changes the insertion point to At Insertion Point. Note that if the graphic is not on its own line, this will get ugly. If you want to fiddle with this, you can right click on the graphic FRAME (not the graphic itself) and select Object Properties from the pop-up menu. If you're using At Insertion Point, there will be an option to move it above or below the baseline; the other types of anchoring position give you options of Cropped or Floating, and that's what Barb was telling you to look for. You don't want floating unless you want the graphic to stay on the same page no matter what the text does.

To find out if you have more than one anchor on a line, place your cursor at the end of the line (use the End key to be certain), then press the spacebar a couple or four times. Then press the left cursor key ONCE and press the spacebar a couple or four times again. Repeat until you find yourself on the preceding line. If there is more than one anchor on the line, you'll be able to see all of them. Double-clicking to select an anchor will highlight the table or graphic that it anchors, which is how you can identify if they're in the right order.

Some people have no issues putting table and figure anchors as part of a paragraph, but I find it to be more trouble than it's worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your patience, and your detailed explanation! You were on point with the anchor being merged with the pilcrow. Once I understood this, I could see that this anchor was tied to the table, and the reason that I had a blank page was that the table was too long to fit on the same page as the line with the anchor. I re-formatted the table to move a few rows to the next page, and then the top of the table moved to just under the line with the anchor.

Thank you for coaching me .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're more than welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines