• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

deleting or adding new pages framemaker 15

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using framemaker 7.1 for years so I am VERY familiar with that version. I had no choice so I had to update to version 15 that is VERYdifferent. I am struggeling with some of the very basic tasks. How do I  delete a blank page? I tried Format-Documnet - delete page and that did not work. What am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not work as in the page wasn't removed? Is it a blank page at the end of the file? You might have even number of pages turned on in the layout. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. It is a page that was added as I was typing. It is not at the end of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I suspect that your widow/orphan lines or your keep togethers have combined in a way that the block of information after the empty page wouldn't fit on it for some reason. 

If tables are involved, see how many lines the pagination tab says to keep together. I'll adjust those sometimes if the table is particularly short (6 row or less). If your rows are really wide (top to bottom), you might want to change it to 1.

Check the paragraphs before and after the blank page and see if they're set to start at the top of a page or set to keep with next. Check the paragraphs below the first line on the page after the blank page and see if there are one or more set to keep with previous. Check their widow/orphan settings, also.

Check those same paragraphs for overrides and see if removing the override helps.

It's going to be tedious, but the pagination, widow/orphan, and keep with next/previous are the most frequent culprits, closely followed by widow/orphan table rows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use single cell tables for my figures. Sometimes a figure is very large,so that the height of the table cell plus the table title exceeds the height of the main text frame of this page. Then this table is moved to the next page and I have an empty page.

Could it be that you have this issue?

What I do in such a case:

Scale down the figure so that the height of the table cell is smaller.

Or extend the height of the main text frame slightly, so that the table fits on this page again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As do I, with the table title as the caption. It ensures they're never, ever separated.

Yes, that's something else they should check. Personally I'd take the scaling option, because if you add or delete enough text you could find the table on a different page and have the same issue all over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And turn on View » Text Symbols
so that you can see if FM thinks there is page content. Perhaps also Show Condition Indicators and View » Color » Color Views to expose any hiding content.

So far, this unexpected page looks like it might be due to things common to both FM7 & FM15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into a similar problem recently.  I'm using FrameMaker 16.  I have a 10 page table that somehow generated an additional eight pages while I was doing a lot of cutting and pasting in the table.  I tried using Format > Document > Delete Pages 11-18 and it didn't work.  I tried it multiple times and even tried deleting 11-14, but still wouldn't work.  I finally started at the end, deleting pages 14-18 first, then worked my way backward.  If I couldn't delete a group of pages, I just deleted the last one first.  I have no idea why this worked, but it did in my case.  I'm guessing it was something in one of the middle or end pages that was causing the problem.  By working backward, I finally succeeded in deleting the problem page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also an issue when you apply a condition to a table column. When a cell in this column has a higher height than other cells in the same row and you hide the condition with this column, then the height of the table row does not adapt to only the visible cells. Possibly this is an issue for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the add'l insight.  In my case, all cells, rows, and colomns were totally uniform.  I had one small pgf of body text and the remainder of the doc was the 10 page table.  Part of my problem may have been in the master pages?!  I was having trouble getting ExtendScript to select and step through a table I created from scratch, so I cut a page from a document with an existing table as my template...for some reason it worked with my poor scripting.  The page from the other doc had associated master pages, some rotated and with overrides.  With help from this forum, I solved the scripting problem and I'm now using new blank docs and inserting the tables.  The reason I'm using standalone tables is to feed terms into a couple of scripts I've written. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you actually using all those master pages, or just one?

At the moment my best suggestion is to delete all the unused master pages (except Right and maybe Left, because Frame won't let you delete those) and make sure that your Right master page has the right paper size and margins for your table.

You might also want to make sure that the master page applied to your document has a connected flow and that there are no disconnected pages. Either issue can throw a mighty spanner into the works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks LimSims...I've voided diving too deeply into master pages, instead focusing on scripting.  Now that I have that under control, I'm going to spend more time coming up to speed on master pages and styles (which I've also avoided).  Thanks for the tip on deleting all the unused master pages.  It's a good place to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mgustantino:

In any version of FrameMaker, there aren't a lot of good reasons to choose Format > Document > Delete Page in the middle of a document. The best reason is because you have manually added a disconnected page and you no longer need it.

We typically delete the content on the page and the text after it just closes up.

I am happy to look at your document to explain what is happening, if you are comfortable sharing it. You can put it on a file sharing service like dropbox and post a link here (public), or message me directly (private).

Alternatively, you could zoom out to a 25% magnification, click in the text and choose Edit > Select All and then post a screenshot so we can see how the text is flowing from the page before the one you want to delete to the page after.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines