• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Double clicking image in FM doesn't open image in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Framemaker 2019 and Illustrator version 23 (cloud based subscription). I used to be able to double click a referenced image in FM and it would open in Illustrator. Now it only opens if Illustrator is not open (and the double clicking from FM causes Illustrator to open and open my image.)  I end up either having to close Illustrator after every image edit so I can double click the next one from FM, or i have to be in Illustrator and do File - Open for every image. I just want to be able to double click from FM every time! I'm guessing it's just a setting in either FM or Illustrator but I can't figure it out. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb. Thanks for your quick responses.

When I use File - Publish, it tells me my output location has invalid characters. I'm simply saving to my normal file locations. It's a big, long file location, but that's just where all my files are. No way around that.

But when I change the output folder to my K drive, it works just fine and lets me edit the PDF settings. So what are the invalid characters?

Also, is there a way to change a setting somewhere in FM so the PDF reads the file name instead of the document title? I don't want to have to change that every time.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elaine:

If the exact same name works on the K drive, then I'd guess you are having an access or permissions issue on your J drive. Check with IT on that.

FrameMaker does not have the capability to specify showing the Doc Title in the title bar in lieu of the default filename. You can log a feature request here: Tracker and in the meantime. you can create an Action in Acrobat to update one or multiple files quickly.

Adobe Acrobat Pro Action Wizard

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

I did find a way to take the document tile off the PDF. I have to use File - Print book and it's in the PDF document properties.

Of course, this creates a .ps file which then has to be made into the PDF, so there's some extra steps. Not sure if this is easier or simply remembering to change the name in the PDF preferences to file name instead of document title. But I'm glad there's at least a way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elaine,

Barb suggested to create an "Action" in Acrobat. Even easier are Custom Commands (also via the Action Wizard). This allows to create a command to just change this option. Then you can add a button for this command to the Quick Tools toolbar (View | Show/Hide | Toolbar Items | Customize Quick Tools). I use this to change the magnification when a PDF is opened. In my oppinion much easier than to create a PostScript file and create a PDF.

When your path on J: does not work and you do not know which characters might cause this, then please post the complete path here. As Barb said, it could also be a permissions issue.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines