Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Download of older FrameMaker versions?

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2010 Feb 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Forum-users,

I'd like to know if there is a Download page for trials of older FrameMaker version. I'm looking for version 7.2 in particular because a customer wants us to work with this version. Working with higher versions from our side proofed to be difficult.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards

AngeloBurton

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Angelo,

I doubt you can download an older version from Adobe.

Using FrameMaker 9, you can save your files as mif version 7, which can be read by FrameMaker 7.2. Make sure you do not use any version 9 features that are not in version 7.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, no, you can't. There isn't any reason to provide trial downloads of obsolete products. ;- )

You can download a bug-fix version of 8, or a trial version of 9.

But as Van suggests, if your client is locked into verion 7.x, your only option is to SaveAs from 9 to 7 MIF. You could probably also SaveAs RTF and open that in FM 7, but you'd lose a lot of FM data.

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually yes there is, because sometimes there are files that are much older than patches will allow for import. I run into this all the time in the aerospace industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: …SaveAs from 9 to 7 MIF.

That would be expected to handle FM internal character set usage and special characters, but…

It back-crosses the Unicode boundary (FM8+). If the user content in the documents contains any text with code points above the 8-bit 00h_to_FFh range, i.e. Unicode U+0100_to_U+FFFF, it's hard to say how that is handled; easily not elegantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After hearing of similar issues for documentation service providers and discussions with representatives of Adobe Germany the following solution was found: You have to buy the current version of FrameMaker but NOT as a box product but rather through the Adobe TLP licensing program

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/volumelicensing/

Next, via Adobe Customer Service you should be able to downgrade the license, i.e. they provide you with a serial number. You have to get the original installer yourself, but this should not be a problem.

In April 2009 I summarized this in a blog post (German only) and some people reported that they had success. It may be worthwhile if you check with Adobe Customer Service first.

http://cap-studio.de/wp/index.php/2009/04/aeltere-framemaker-lizenzen-erwerben/

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to keep an eye on Ebay. Old software can often be bought quite cheap.

Bjørn Smalbro - FrameMaker.dk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually there is both a version 6 and a version 7.2 on Ebay right now.

Bjørn Smalbro - FrameMaker.dk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines